Author Topic: Transition to whole milk  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: February 05, 2006, 19:24:23 pm »
OK....I got the go ahead from dd Dr. to start the transition to whole milk.  Sooooo on Friday she had 1 milk bottle in the morning before her nap.  She woke up screaming 20 min into her nap (usually naps 1 1/2 hours).  Then yesterday, the same thing happened.  She had a strange diaper (almost diarreha)  yesterday afternoon and then has had painful gas ever since.  Could it be the milk?  I haven't given her any today and plan on talking to the Dr. before trying again.
Anyone else had this happen?
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline momtomax

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Transition to whole milk
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 00:08:51 am »
It's probably the milk.  My ds had tummy pain and gas when I tried to introduce milk at 12 months, and I read that diarreha can be a side effect as well.  You should talk to your doctor and find an alternative for a while.

Offline james030405

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 04:22:06 am »
jacki, I was told from 9mths (this is in Australia) that you can introduce whole milk, but you should do it by putting it on their cereal in the morning, making custards, puddings etc with it - just gradually introduce it.  You can also just give a few sips from a cup to get their tummies use to the difference. 

I hope your DS gets better. 

Lisa mum to James by textbook koala
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:15:08 am »
I would also recommend trying a different type of milk--we started with rice milk and even now, dd gets a 50/50 ratio of whole milk and rice milk (she calls them "fatty" and "rice" :D)  Otherwise, her poops stink and are pretty soft.  The dr. told us it isn't probably a big deal--just that it takes their bodies awhile to develop everything they need in order to completely digest the proteins.  Either way, I don't like having to change the diapers, so we do it this way.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 18:13:10 pm »
You may also want to try 2% milk.  My friends (Kayna) little boy had some issues with whole milk as well if I remember correctly, I think there was actually too much fat in it - and he does fine with 2%.  :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom