Author Topic: Should I drop the df?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: February 06, 2006, 17:32:34 pm »
my now 7 month old has stopped taking much from bottles during the day (prev 4-6 oz per bottle now 3 at most).  This is his schedule:

5am/530am wake and BF back to bed
7am wake and BF top up
8am solids (4 tbsp cereal and 3 tbsp fruit)
9-930 nap (1-1.5hrs)
11 am EBM (prev 4-5 oz now 3)
12 lunch (3tbsp veg)
1230/1 nap (1-1.5hrs)
3 pm EBM (prev 5-6) now 3
445-5 supper ( 5tbsp cereal, 3-4 tbsp veg and 1 tbsp fruit)
6 bedtime rtn
630/7 bottle EBM 5-6oz
11pm DF 6oz

I am starting to reduce the df bottle to 5oz this week and dropping by 1 oz per week so he gets used to it.  I am hoping he will take more from bottles during the day right???  Also, what happens/what should I do if he only has 45min naps/??? Do I keep the same schedule and keep him up, he can't do more than 2.5hrs A time right now??

Any advice please??

Sabine

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Should I drop the df?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 01:38:02 am »
Hi.  Our ped. always told us that if dd were to reduce her formula intake that we should reduce solids until she was back to her normal amounts (24 oz on average).  Up until the 9-12 month range, formula or breastmilk should be the baby's main source of nutrition unless there are other concerns your doctor has noted.  Otherwise, you could try waiting a few minutes after he wakes and give him time to wake up before offering the bottle.  Sometimes that helped my dd.  If you drop the df, I would try to add back those oz into the day, therefore you may need to make adjustments with how much solids he's eating.
If your ds takes a short nap, and you are unable to resettle him, or him resettle himself, then you would just get him up, have some A time before his next feeding, and adjust the rest of your day accordingly.  You can try to stay as close to his next regular nap time, but he'll probably be tired sooner, and you may have to tweak your day.  At 7 months, 45 min naps suggest that he may need a bit more A time.  But if he's not having 45 min naps consistantly, I wouldn't worry about making too many adjustments yet.  Sometimes they just have "off" days.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007