Author Topic: Already eating rice cereal, what next?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Already eating rice cereal, what next?
« on: February 06, 2006, 19:43:53 pm »
DS (4.5 mo old)  has been eating rice cereal thinned with soy formula for about 2 weeks now.  He took to it fairly quickly, on the third day he swollowed more than he spit out.  I have been making it a little thicker the last few days, he seems to swollow this easier.  He had a few late poops (evening instead of morning), but no constipation and seems to be back on track now.  He is definitely interested in eating cereal and takes 38-40 oz of soy formula a day including df.  I am confused as to what to do next.  Tracy recommends pears as a first food because of easy digestion, but other resources say not to introduce fruit until later because lo's may not want veggies or savory foods after that because they have developed a taste for something sweet.  "What to expect in the first year" says only rice cereal until 6 months.  My goal is to make most of ds's food, so have been reading posts on that topic.  My question is should I continue him on rice cereal for a bit longer or start introducing other foods?  If I start introducing other foods, what should I start with?  Should I mix some fruit or veggies in with his cereal first?  I just need a little prodding in the right direction as I am afraid he will reject solids later if I introduce things too early.  Thanks for any help.

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Already eating rice cereal, what next?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 20:05:04 pm »
I would keep going with only the cereal for awhile longer.  You can continue feeding it once/day & then move up to twice/day before adding anything else.  Really it's only for practice now & he mostly needs the formula/breastmilk...

As far as introducing fruits, I did pears first (after rice cereal & oatmeal) as suggested by Tracy, and it went fine.  She has liked all the different fruits & veggies I've given her since.  When I first was giving dd cereal, I'd mix it with breastmilk, then when I started fruits/veggies, I'd mix it with them instead.

I think you're doing just fine.  I'd just take it slowly - there's no hurry & it's great practice right now!  ;)
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)