Author Topic: Please help - weaning is a minefield!!  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Tilly'sMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help - weaning is a minefield!!
« on: February 06, 2006, 22:16:57 pm »
Hi,  my dd is 5 months old and we started giving solids a week ago - she was sleeping through andstarted waking at night.  She seems to be doing really well, liking a variety of food and is excited about eating - which I feel is good.  The problem now is that she seems to have gone off her milk, she is down to about 18 - 24oz a day - she is eating 3 substantial meals a day, as she is continuously hungry - this could be a growth spurt however I am concerned about her milk intake - what do I do?  Do I just withhold solids and give her milk when hungry or reduce meals, hoping that she will take the milk??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I get completely overwhelmed with all the information out there!

Tilly's Mum

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Please help - weaning is a minefield!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 22:34:30 pm »
What's your routine like?  Are you giving her milk before solids?  If not, I would let her fill up on milk first & try cutting back on the solids - at 5 mos, I think they are mostly for practice & not the bulk of her nutrition.  At 5 mos, I started giving my dd a small amount rice cereal only once/day & slowly moved up from there.

Hope that helps!  ;)
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline Tilly'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 19:54:13 pm »
Currently I am giving solid food first so I will try the milk first and see how I get on - she had 8 oz at her dream feed last night and was ravenous at 5am and had another 8oz.  She just eats and eats!!

Thanks alot,

Tilly's Mum

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 20:11:35 pm »
I hope that will help - let us know what happens!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline Freddies Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
Sorry Tilly's not sleeping. Freddie has decided to do the same and it is beginning to drive me nuts. Apparently anything under 20 oz of milk a day is bad for a baby so it sounds like T is getting enough. Have you tried the hungry baby formulas yet as well as the three course meals? One of my friends swears by it following a bout of sleepless nights and binge eating by her little boy. Don't know if that's any help. Know how you feel about the glut of info available and how bewildering it is though. Sometimes feel like Freddie is a PhD project the amount of info I'm required to process.