Author Topic: 8 month old sitting up at night - help!  (Read 1008 times)

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
8 month old sitting up at night - help!
« on: February 07, 2006, 12:46:48 pm »
My 8 month old was on EASY since 8 weeks old and slept through the night really well. He has had a rough last 6 weeks with a cold and an ear infection that lasted a month and fluid in his ears that lasted a couple weeks longer. He's better now and slept through the night for the first time in 6 weeks for one night. BUT last night he decided that it's time to try his new skill of pushing himself up to a sitting position in his crib - unfortunately, I don't think he knows how to lay back down yet! He was up 6 times last night just sitting there screaming (he sounded scared). I also was in the habit of picking him up while he was sick and rocking him back to sleep. Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to lie back down and go to sleep? I'm sure that I have become a sleep prop for him too. He's also a very spirited little boy and can't wait to get walking!

Thank you so much for any help!

Julie (Jack's tired Mom)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 8 month old sitting up at night - help!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 03:50:27 am »
During the day time you need to help him to learn how to lie down again from sitting... watch how he moves to sitting & guide him in reverse... that could take up to a week to resolve.

re the rocking back to sleep...we all do that when they are sick, the key is to gradually do it less or to just start using Pu/pd. there is no fast & easy way, you just have to create another association rather than the being rocked to sleep.

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 8 month old sitting up at night - help!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 14:10:17 pm »
Hi Kate, thank you so much for the great advice! I tried PUPD last night and it worked beautifully - only 20 minutes one time the entire night! He's stubborn like his Mom, so I thought I'd be in there several times for an hour at a time! We'll work on his laying down skills today. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, but this worked wonderfully!

Thank you!

Julie