Author Topic: Dreamfeeding & Burping  (Read 1158 times)

Offline vicki3

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Australia - Northern NSW.
Dreamfeeding & Burping
« on: February 08, 2006, 01:04:06 am »
Hi how are you all, I am 34wks and hoping that I can put EASY into practise. I am concerned about the dreamfeed and not burping. Is there a chance she can burp and vomit in her sleep after I,ve laid her back down which obviously could choke her. Thanks for your replies. Vicki
my DS 7yrs old,

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Dreamfeeding & Burping
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:33:59 am »
i had the same worry when i first started the df.  sometimes in the beginning i would sit her up or put her over my shoulder and rub her back...sometimes i got a burp relatively quickly other times i did not.  after awhile i stopped burping and she has always been fine.  i don't have a spit up baby - she RARELY spits up at all...i always did sleep her on her side more than on the back...i know the dr's told me not to but i couldn't bare the thought of her choking on spit up in her sleep either.  good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 05:46:58 am »
I think you will get to know your baby, and whether or not they need to burp.  My second dd always needs to burp after a feed.  My first didn't always.  I remember a couple of times though when she did vomit up quite a bit of milk in bed, but she was always fine (just gave me a big fright of course  ;)).  I'm not sure about the possibility of choking... I would imagine that if it's a big spit up, then it comes out quite forcefully, so ends up on the blankets etc.  If it's just a little spit up then they would most probably just swallow it again.  It is only liquid spit-up when they're so young (before solids).

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:02:33 am »
We have a bad refluxer so she vomited in her sleep all the time. And while scary, she was always able to "handle" it if that is any reassurance at all... after the dream feed or any night feed we would just tilt her slowly up over our shoulder and gently rub up the left side of her back before lying her down. She was usually so relaxed a burp would come almost immediately. Congratulations by the way! :)

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline vicki3

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Australia - Northern NSW.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 06:51:13 am »
Thanks to all who replied. It makes me feel so much more confident to know that you are all so close (but yet so far). Its great that if there are any isssues I can just type and I have such a supportive group of people there waiting. Regarding the burping I guess I'll just wait and see what type of beautiful daughter I have (and by the way all your daughters are gorgeous). Can't wait 6wks to go. I already have a 7yr old son and he was fed on demand which just depleted me so EASY is the way to go I feel. Anyway thanks again I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions and maybe even helping someone out myself.
my DS 7yrs old,

s_olano00

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 07:35:10 am »
Vicki,

I never burped my DD. I used the Mam bottles that have an air valve (which according to them, it prevents babies from swallowing air) and it seemed to help. As a matter of fact, I sucked at burping and those bottles made a hughe difference.

Take care!