Author Topic: Looking for help with nap routine  (Read 893 times)

Offline radnad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 08, 2006, 04:19:21 am »
Hi there,

Been struggling with naps  (as I'm sure many moms are) and am thinking that I need to tweak my routine.  Just wondering if anyone can offer ideas on their successful nap routines/strategies.  Need some fresh ideas for wind down time...tried reading a story but that seems too stimulating and she just gets irritated.  Music works well and closing the blinds but I feel that I need something else.  Also, generally, how long should the wind down be for a textbook/spirited baby?  We put her down awake (thru using PU/PD) and it seems to be working but sometimes it takes much longer than others.  Has anyone found that after enough time and practice, your LO will go down for naps with no fuss (been at PU/PD for 11 days now).  I usually start her wind down routine at the 1st sign of tiredness, ie rubbing eyes or yawning...does this sound about right?

Cheers and much thanks for your time and support
Nadya & darling Jaiden ;D 

oh, and Jaiden is 5 months

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 17:10:08 pm »
I think you are waiting alittle too long to start the wind down.  Usually when they rub eyes/ yawn, they are VERY tired.  You might try to get into the wind down about 10 min before you think they will be tired. 
What has worked for my dd is really relaxing music.  I have room darkening drapes over the windows and a sleep sac she sleeps in.  We go in and close the drapes, put on the sleeping bag and sit in the rocker with the music going.  Sometimes it only takes one song but other days it could take 5!!  I wait until she stops wiggling and seems to relax and then transfer her to the crib.  Most of the time she will roll over and drift off, but there are times that are not that smooth.  Just go with your instinct when that happens and do your best.  My belief is that if they are able to drift off most of the time, those few times you pick them back up and settle some more will not hurt.  JMHO!
ALso, read the sticky at the top of this board.  It will give you more ideas about naptime!
HTH.
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05