Author Topic: Night waking  (Read 1088 times)

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Night waking
« on: February 08, 2006, 17:20:16 pm »
During the night, my lo wakes and stays awake from 1-1.5 hours.  I hear him try to put himself back to sleep but he cant. When he starts to cry i go in.  But I end up staying for the hour or longer. 

At this age, is this still the baby whisperer method to stay with him, and reassure him until he sleeps?  I have tried leaving when he is calm but then he gets upset again.  So I stay.  I just wonder when it occurs that toddlers know you'll stay and start to take advantage of that?  I hope I'm not creating a problem in my attempts to solve it.  Any advice?

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 20:19:04 pm »
I read your other post as well about your lo only taking one nap at 9:45 after waking for the day at 6.  Even though lo is going down early s/he is still awake for 6 hours after the nap.  Usually if they're overtired going down you get night waking.  I'd try pushing the nap backuntil it's at least at 11:30.  do it slowly--15 minutes every couple of days.  In the meantime do go in if it helps lo to settle You will probably find there is no dependency once your lo is not so tired going to bed or if there is you can phase it out once the nap is at a better time.  Good luck! 

Offline velvet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Night waking
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 20:30:43 pm »
I know exactly what you mean and today, I moved his nap to 10am.  He was so incredibly tired by then that pushing it to 11:30 seems a stretch but I will continue to try every 15 min or so like you said.

Do you think though inthe meantime, I should try putting him for another nap at 4:00?  I was wondering if it is too close to the evening if I try.  He woke at 12 noon today from 10am and I have tried putting him down at 3 and 3:30 pmbefore with no luck.  SHould I try 4:00?

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 14:52:45 pm »
I think that would be too close to bedtime.  You could try moving his bedtime up--my lo started showing improvement when she started going down around 6:30.  If he's showing sleepy signs at 6 that means he could probably be asleep between 6:15 and 6:30.  you could try starting your winddown 15 to 30 minutes earlier to see if that helps. I know alot of people have to move bedtime up when they're transitioning to 1 nap, although with my lo it just meant earlier wake times--but at least no night waking! good luck!