Author Topic: 2-yo Skipping 1-2 Naps Each Week  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 17:52:16 pm »
I've done the longer wind down now for awhile and it's done nothing....she's getting worst instead of better.  So what I'm going to do is go for the later nap time.  I may hate myself for it, but I don't know what else to do.  Plus the longer wind down once I have the new baby I'm sure isn't going to work at all.  At night, she's fine with our wind down and that's the same one as nap so I'm thinking I have to do something else....

Stacie I do think your right that it's all about the power!  I wonder how long it goes on before they give in and just nap?  It seems we've been going through this for MONTHS now!!!!!!!!  I need a nap today sooooo bad.

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: 2-yo Skipping 1-2 Naps Each Week
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 21:36:25 pm »
Well, it must be Wednesday. I think Karina skips her nap every Wednesday, because it is also our late day with swimming and gymnastics, so I can't put her to bed early!! And of course she seemed so tired all morning.

You are both probably right ~ I know Karina is asserting herself very much these days in terms of figuring out how much control she has over every situation. She's definitely started the power struggles.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 18:06:34 pm »
How has Karina been napping?

We went on to a 1:30 nap which caused her to wake earlier (but I think it may have been becuase I was putting her to bed later as a result of her waking from her nap later)....

I am so annoyed with this.  Nap time is going to be 1:00-3:00 in this house from now on.  It's her choice to sleep or not.  Bedtime is 7-7:15 and that is it.  I find when she does this, I change things around and then things get worst.  So this is my new way.....strict strict strict!

Offline asher and noël's mama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • asher: hebrew for happy
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 19:40:46 pm »
hi ladies, i hope you don't mind me joining in.  i have a 23 month old ds and a 11 week old dd.  i can totally relate with what you guys are going through.  asher, by ds is on and off with his naps these days and it is driving me crazy.  i definitely need the down time with a new little one in the house. 

rose... i remember reading something in tracy's book about over stimulated toddlers don't sleep or nap as well.  i wonder if the morning swimming and gymnastics is over stimulating her, and then she has a hard time winding down, even if she if very tired.  i have experienced this with ahser lately.  on sunday mornings we go to church and he is in a child care class that he absolutely loves, but it tires him out completely.  by the time we get home, even though he has been falling asleep on the way home and we try to keep him awake until we get home, and even though it is his normal nap time, he rarely naps on sundays.  he just talks and plays, and then starts to cry about an hour later.  so, maybe he is over tired and over stimulated and his body mind won't let him sleep though that is exactly what his body needs.  does this make sense?

today, monday, he didn't nap again, and i went in and told him gave him a hug and told him to sleep.  he was very mad that i didn't let him out, so he cried, i let it go for about 4 minutes, and now he is fast asleep.  i really don't like to let him cry, but we didn't do e.a.s.y. with him, so sometimes it is the only way to get him asleep.  we are doing e.a.s.y. with our dd, and i am so thankful for it.

any advice out there for moms of toddlers who didn't do e.a.s.y. and now are wishing they did?  do i continue to let him cry, usually it only takes a few minutes and he is asleep?  what are my alternatives.  pu pd is out of the question, he weight's 33 lbs.
~kellie

asher job 3/30/04
elizabeth noël 12/2/05
abraham kenneth 3/23/07

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 19:47:03 pm »
In Traci's toddler book she talks about S.L.O.W. ... which I interpreted it not as CIO but as to just be slow into going to them when they cry.  To listen to them first.  I know some kids need to cry for a few minutes before settling down so if your DS is only crying for 5-10 minutes, I'd let him cry and settle himself before running in. 

Carmela didn't nap today.  It is so so so so annoying.

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 19:47:58 pm »
oh, and i was going to comment on the longer wind down.  you do really want to keep it short if you have a new baby coming.  ours in about 5 minutes with ds, and sometimes that is too long, when dd really needs me.

i don't think making in longer really does much.  i have tried that.  i think the best thing you can do for them is to keep in consistent, then they know what to expect.

~kellie
~kellie

asher job 3/30/04
elizabeth noël 12/2/05
abraham kenneth 3/23/07

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 19:51:55 pm »
is it a seperate book just for toddler's?  good to know.  i have wondered if i should try to "build back trust" as she talks about when you have lo's cry it out.  but now that asher is almost two, and he for the most part sleeps well, just an occasional cry for a few minutes, i am not sure i want to change things on him.

what do you think?
~kellie

asher job 3/30/04
elizabeth noël 12/2/05
abraham kenneth 3/23/07

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 19:55:31 pm »
I so agree about the new baby coming and the wind down routines.  It's been taking 45 minutes to sleep at night -- if not longer -- and I am going to start experimenting to see if we stop our wind down routine completely, if it doesn't prolong that anymore.  If it does, we will continue, but if not, then into bed she goes.....same with naps.  I am sick of trying to wind down for 30+ minutes a day and night and having no results!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Traci has a book just for toddlers....definitely buy it.  I wouldn't change much unless it was broken.  But if he's only crying for 10 minutes, I wouldn't say that is broken.  I know others disagree but that's just how I feel...now if you told me he was crying for an hour or more, I'd feel differently.

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 20:46:06 pm »
what does you 45 minute wind down look like at night?
~kellie

asher job 3/30/04
elizabeth noël 12/2/05
abraham kenneth 3/23/07

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Re: 2-yo Skipping 1-2 Naps Each Week
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 00:20:43 am »
I also wouldn't say that short of a cry is "broken" especially if it's working...