Author Topic: Night feeding question  (Read 1105 times)

Offline JMKca

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 08, 2006, 23:11:53 pm »

My son is 9 months old  and exclusively breastfed (won't take solids).  He is a major snacker, eating probably 16 times a day.  He does about 4 -6 night wakings and I am guilty of nursing him back to sleep each time.  I am ready to try PUPD w/ him but do I just cut those nightfeeds cold turkey?  He goes to sleep at 6:30 and on a good day doesn't officially get up till 6:45am so that's 12 hours w/o eating.  Thanks for any input...

Janine and Dylan

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Night feeding question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 04:01:03 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o  16 times a day!  wow i hardly know where to start!  i wouldn't not feed him cold turkey at night b/c right now he needs those calories. i would slowly cut down the amount of time u feed him at night, and as u do this he will slowly take more milk during the day.  i also had to do this with my dd and it took time but it worked...it may take a little longer with your lo as he seems to eat much more often.  as for the daytime, i would slowly try to 'fuse' together the feeds SLOWLY as well - say 15 min at a time.  maybe give some water to tide him over if he is due for a nap, as he will then wake up hungry.  if u look at some of the sticky's on the night waking, etc. forum u will find a lot of VERY helpful info.  hope i helped some - good luck!...and btw don't change everything all at once - afterall he is used to doing things very differently - and take baby steps!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 09:55:33 am »
You will probally need to up his calorie intake in the day whilst reducing feeds in the night. It sound to me as though he is getting a proportion of his nutrition at night time so to go cold turkey might mean him going hugry at first. I feed my DS last thing before bed now but if have only just dropped the dreamfeed and some nights he may still have it if he asks. I also feed him at about six which means that he will then go back to sleep for another two hours (we dont go to bed til 8) I wouldnt expect him to go twelve hours without eating quite yet, maybe 10hrs?

Does he take any solids at all, even a little? I think you might find this would help with him not being hungry at night although if he wont take any I am sure you'll manage fine if you can just get him to eat more milk in the day.
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 14:10:49 pm »
Just to follow up on what the other mamas have already suggested.  Do you have your lo on EASY?  It would eventually help you get your little one on a more routine feeding schedule.  I really think that before you tackle the night, you would need to tackle the day time feeds, eventually working towards regular, longer feeds....  rather than snacking.

If you need any help, let us know.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline JMKca

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 15:57:40 pm »
Thanks ladies, I'm trying to stretch the daytime feeding intervals.  He only nursed 9 times yesterday, instead of the 17 on Monday so it's going pretty well.  I'm sure I'll be back w/ more questions soon. thanks. :)

Janine