Author Topic: Getting her coat on!  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Jasminemum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting her coat on!
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:39:39 am »
Hello,
I'd just like a little bit of advice. My daughter is a bit of an angel at the moment after being colicky for a while, but when it's time to go out and she needs to have her warm clothes put on, she often has a screaming fit. Not always though, and I can't work out what the difference is in what I'm doing. She's not too keen on having her other clothes put on either, but she doesn't cry as much then. Has anyone got any advice as it can make getting ready to go out stressful!
Thanks
Harriet

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Re: Getting her coat on!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:55:15 am »
Hi Harriet

Is it always the same coat you put on her? Could it be something about it that irritates her - the fabric or a scatchy label? It could be that she just gets over heated when she has her coat on and is all smooshed up in her pram/stroller or car seat.  My DD was born in January and I used to find that if I dressed her too warmly then put her in her car seat she would get really grouchy from being too hot - especially if we were going from inside to outside.

Could you try a few lighter layers rather than one thick layer? Or maybe not putting a coat on but just putting a blanket over her?

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Jasminemum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 11:22:53 am »
Hello,
It's any coat really! Once she's in the car seat, pushchair or strapped to me she's fine so I don't think it's the heat. We often use a sling to carry her, so unfortunately a blanket won't work! Thanks anyway.  :)
Harriet

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 16:03:36 pm »
I used to sing to my DD when I was strapping her into her car seat, as that always brought on loads of tears -- as did the coat come to think of it.  Anyway, I would just sing her all sorts of silly songs and usually she would forget about it. 

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 18:16:41 pm »
What is it with coats? my usually happy ds really isn't keen on having any coat put on and the same is true for his normally happy pals!!!  distraction is my best course of action, but even that doesn't always work!  the blanket idea is great in the car, esp because if they fall asleep then you can just bring them in blanket and all to finish off their nap without worrying about them overheating (obviously not so good for walks, buggys, slings etc!
sorry to not be any help!

Offline shazzy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 09:38:10 am »
Hi - my son is 4mths and has always cried getting his cat on.  Once its on he stops - I don't think he likes his hands and armas being held as he lieks to chew them!

s_olano00

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 14:51:27 pm »
I have a coat-hater too.

She used to have one that was totally cute, but it was very thick and has some kind of elastic and the end of the arms (I guess to keep it in place and so the cold wouldn't come in) that I had to toss away because it was too much of a struggle to put it on.

I had to buy one that is very, very soft/thin (I put an extra vest on her) and very easy to put her arms in. It seemed to help.

Still no luck on putting her gloves and her hat.