Author Topic: A question for those with LO with Dairy/Soy intollerance  (Read 1349 times)

Offline SleeplessSam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
A question for those with LO with Dairy/Soy intollerance
« on: February 09, 2006, 19:28:03 pm »
My DD was "diagnosed" with an intollerance at approx 10 weeks because of blood streaks inher stools.  The streaks were always red and increasing with time.  I cut ALL dairy and soy from my diet and the blood decreased but never disapeared.  She is now  6months old.  I bake my own bread and read all ingredients very carefully.  The ped no longer wants to see her about it unless it worsens or anything changes.  Bloodwork was done for dairy allergy and came back -ve.  We now go weeks without seeing blood but it returns about once a month for no reason.  I have charted my food and it doesn't seem to correlate with one particular thing.  DD is otherwise in very good health...so I was wondering if everyone else had the blood disapear or did it continue?  DD is now eating rice cereal and has had no reaction (it's dairy and soy free) to it (it's been 3 weeks) but today had more blood.  I'm so frustrated and am not sure what to do next.  I'm thinking dairy and soy are not the problem...anyone have any stories to share?
Thanks so much...

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Re: A question for those with LO with Dairy/Soy intollerance
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:33:46 am »
Do you think it could be a different allergy/intolerance? Maybe wheat? Or nuts? Those are two other big ones.

My ds's blood was occult, or not visible. Sometimes visible blood means a tear to the anus, or a hemeroid from straining to poop/constipation. Sometimes visible blood means more significant damage to the intestines, that was the case with a friend's baby at least.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 04:51:29 am »
The only thing I can say is I would definantly go get a second opinon from another doc or more, that is what I have been having to do with my ds about so other problems.  My doc didn't want to see my son again until he was a year or things got worse.
For me, this ws my son we were talking about and if he was in any pain or discomfort at all, i wanted it fixed and will not just wait it out.  Again to me, if I feel it is not normal, then its not.
I hope you get the answers you need and if seeing other docs doesn't help well then at least you will have peace of mind that it is just something he has to grow out of.
Hope everything will work out for you and big hugs for you :-*
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:39:40 am »
Hi, just been through what sounds like the exact same thing only one step ahead of you. We actually were referred to a pediatric GI who was wonderful. We were wondering if her intestines were developing correctly because she was growing and reaching her milestones right on cue but would periodically get blood in her stool (even though I cut dairy and soy completely out of my diet). The ped. GI suggested that this can be a somewhat normal occurrence in bf babies. She stated that sometimes mom's forget to replace their fats that they were getting from dairy and the babies intestines don't get the needed fat to coat their intestines. This apparently can cause bleeding. We were informed that if she continued to grow good, reach milestones, sleep well, and have a good disposition things will be left alone until one year of age if the blood continued. Her tummy since has gotton a little more resilient and we have not had a bloody episode since the end of October.  :)

Of course this was just OUR situation and should not be viewed as any medical advice. You know your child best and if you feel like there could be something wrong or just want piece of mind I would push your Ped. to refer you to a Pediatric GI. I will never regret going to see one even though nothing ended up being wrong. It was worth it to me. ;) Good luck and please let me know if I can answer any other questions because I was on this same board asking that very same question six months ago. :(
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05