Author Topic: Help - my 20 month old still having night feeds & another baby on the way!  (Read 1273 times)

Offline finleysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Does anyone have any ideas - finn wakes once in the night, could be 2am, 3am, or 5.30am.  He used to sleep through from 7.30 til 7.00am but this new pattern has developed over last 6-8 weeks & we're knackered and really worried as ew have another one on the way!

I'm pretty sure it's cos he's teething, but trouble is he's off his food in the day & therefore waking in the night genuinely hungry, we give him a milk bottle which sends him straight back off.  Once he has this milk we dont then give him another in the morning, he'll just have one at bedtime.  Trouble is I dont want to get into habit of doing night feeds again but it seems a viscious circle at the mo.  ?....

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Help - my 20 month old still having night feeds & another baby on the way!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 18:27:47 pm »
It sounds like he is waking out of habit, and now associated having a bottle to send him back to sleep.  At this age he doesn't need to be having any night feeds.  I would try and get as many calories in him during the day, and maybe switch up your bedtime routine so he doesn't have a bottle right before going to sleep.  When he wakes in the night try offering water, as he could be thirsty, but I would hold off on the milk.  He will cry, but only out of frustration as you are changing things on him.  You could do pu/pd, although at this age it is more of pd, to get him back to sleep.  It will be hard and take a few nights, but the important thing is being consistent and not giving in to the bottle.  Trust me, it will be sooo worthit in the end!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline jmelly

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help - my 20 month old still having night feeds & another baby on the way!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 22:02:11 pm »
hi I am new here too and was looking for help for exactly the same thing.  If you go to the baby section there is a really useful section in nighttime wakenings by Leah's Mum, 'how we stopped the night feeds with a 9 month old'(1st Dec 05).  She suggests using the system of gradually reducing the amount of formula every three nights by diluting the formula with more and more water.

This makes perfect sense for my toddler who is waking up because she is hungry so I will endeavour to try this out this week.  Leah's Mum has had a really quick result so I am very hopeful.

Good Luck