Author Topic: 5 month old - not really interested in bottle  (Read 3103 times)

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
5 month old - not really interested in bottle
« on: February 10, 2006, 11:11:01 am »
 ??? My five month old was 7 pounds 9oz at birth, now at 5 months she is only 13 pounds 9oz. She was breastfed until before christmas but got the tast of formula and decided she didnt want the boob anymore.

Since going on the bottle i am lucky if she will take 3-4oz per feed and i am starting to worry about her weight gain. She has been on solids for 3 weeks now eating as follows:

7am wake - bottle 4oz
7.30am - cereal
11.00am - bottle 3-4oz
11.20am - brocolli/cauliflower - 2 cubes, pureed fruit 2 cubes
3.00pm - bottle - 4-5 oz
3.20pm - vegetables - 2 cubes, yoghurt
7.00pm - bottle 3-4oz
10.00pm - DF - bottle

please has anyone got any ideas as to how to get more into her. She has reflux and is on infant gaviscon and her bottle is a DR Browns(specially designed for reflux/colic) she has a fast teat.

Do you think i should try different formulas?
 :'(
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline jessica5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 5 month old - not really interested in bottle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 18:18:44 pm »
I'm having almost identical issues with my four and a half month old!  Heather was 8 lbs. 4 oz. at birth and is now up to only 13 pounds.

Is your daughter getting about 20 oz. of formula each day?  Mine's taking about 20 to 24 oz. and she generally feeds more in the middle of the night.  I've just started cereal with her, at my pediatrician's suggestion (he thinks she may have mild reflux because she spits up A LOT.... including the Zantac and Axid prescriptions we've tried to help the reflux).  She loves the cereal & will eat as much as I give her.

I posted a question about this yesterday and Noelle suggested I try and spread Heather's feedings to every four hours and possibly stop solids (Tracy's books say to start them at about six months, I think).  I'm trying this today.  I've had Heather wait 3 hrs. and 15 min. between bottles & plan to add more time each day.  Then, hopefully, she will drink more at each feeding.

Thanks for posting this!  I'm looking forward to hearing ideas from other parents as to how we can get our little ones to eat enough!
Jessica
mom to an Angel/Textbook Toddler & Spirited Baby

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:32:28 am »
Hi girls!!  :)

Kezia - my question would be, was she always only taking that amount of formula before solids as well?  If she was taking more before then I would cut back on the solids.   You don't have to necessarily stop them, but cut back to say 2 solid feedings a day.  If she is sleeping through the night and is still gaining weight (even though slower) then I think all is fine.  And of course, if cutting back on solids creates nightwakings, go back to feeding them.   Also...if you aren't already, I would use formula to mix the cereal..this can all be included in the total ounces (don't think I mentioned that to you jessica  ;)). 

And also....some babies just aren't big eaters.  The numbers that are recommended are guidelines for the "average" baby :)

**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 19:09:04 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply, My LO has been on four hour easy for about 5 weeks now and i will say making her wait really did work initially, by the time i got the bottle out she was so excited she downed it immediately.

Unfortunately i know tracey says not to start solids till six months but it is the only thing she will eat at the moment, since yesterday i have been lucky if i can get 8oz of milk into her in the whole day. I do wonder whether it is a growth spurt as i have heard some babies do not want to eat at all during growth spurts (seems a bit backward to me!!!)

We found baby gaviscon really helped for Amelies reflux and the Dr Brown bottles, since using those she does not seem to have wind at all anymore....... (Are you based in the States as here in the Uk they do not routinely recommend cereal for reflux) Hopefully someone will shine some light on the situation, nice to know others in the same boat.

We do mix some formula in with both cereal and veggies to improve the amount taken. Unfortunately never been a huge drinker before solids and like i say last two days have been hell, not interested at all.....
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline jessica5

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 20:27:54 pm »
Yes, I live in the U.S.  Some doctors here seem to recommend cereal mixed with formula for babies with reflux and/or problems with spitting up a lot.  I've also been given a prescription, Zantac, which did nothing for my daughter....  It makes me wonder if she really has Reflux or maybe she just spits up a lot.  My two year old spit up lots, too, but she was a much better eater, so it didn't concern us as much.

I don't really think that thickening formula with cereal is helping for spitting up but, Heather certainly seems to like the cereal and it's a way for me to get a little more food into her.  I'm trying to limit her cereal to once a day, though, in hopes that she'll drink more from her bottles.

If Amelie used to drink more but has had a decrease in appetite recently, I would guess that it might be due to teething..... especially if she's eating solids really well.  I've read that the sucking on a bottle is painful to swollen gums when teething is going on and that the way a baby uses her mouth to eat solids is less painful for them while they're teething.  I've even read that some people feed their babies formula with a spoon..... I haven't tried this, though.

I've also heard that when baby's reach a new developmental milestone - like learning to roll over, learning to grab/pick up objects, they often become less interested in eating for a period of time.

What is Baby Gaviscon?  Is it a prescription medication for Reflux?
Jessica

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 20:34:40 pm »
Baby gaviscon is a prescription medicine here, it comes in sachet form of powder which you add to their milk ( is suppose it is a thickening agent). If you can't get gaviscon over there have you maybe tried formula specially designed to be thicker and help with spit up?
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline jessica5

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 21:16:39 pm »
I've never heard of thickened formula before, but after seeing your post, discovered that Enfamil (is it Enfalac there?) makes a formula that is supposed to cut down on spitting up by about 40%.  We used one called Nutramigen initially, because it's already broken down and, supposedly, easier on babies.  Now, our doctor has switched us to Enfamil's, GentleEase (which costs about half as much as the Nutramigen did), but Heather still spits up a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Jessica

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 12:18:47 pm »
 :D Not sure of the names over here of the thickened formula. Gaviscon really did help if you can get it.... Amelie has been having since she was about 12 weeks old and she might have a little spit up now and again after the bottle/winding but not the projectile vomiting she had before
Amelie Grace's mum