Author Topic: Allergies and/or reflux, not sure what to do next?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Allergies and/or reflux, not sure what to do next?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 23:19:34 pm »
Agree with Michelle re diagnosis of MSPI. Allergy test will only show true allergy, not intolerance.  Wilsmom, if DS is doing well on soy, maybe better to keep him on it for a little longer? 1.5 weeks doesn't sound long to me if it were intolerance - it can take longer than that sometimes as the proteins are built up in the system and it takes time to get them out and heal. Strange though that he's ok with yo-baby and cheese?

Michelle - are you considering tubes for Meg? One of my friend's has twin boys (now 19 months) who both have reflux and had to be on Neocate formula for a year! Both now are having milk and OK but one did have to get tubes for constant ear infections/fluid and is doing much better now. Constant fluid in ears can affect hearing and thus speech development (don't mean to scare you).

Flax oil is a great source of fat - just one tbsp/day has 14 grams! Will she eat avocado? Another great source of fat.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 04:50:16 am »
Hi, i wanted to give an update and thank you again for all the info/support.

It is almost 2 weeks now w/ no dairy or soy and guess what...dd has the clearest nose in town!  We are going tomorrow for her allergy testing and i was dreading taking her off the Zyrtec, but that too has been no problem - my guess is due to cutting out the dairy!  I am going to keep her off the Zyrtec until it looks like she needs it.  Who knows maybe she didn't really even need it!!!

I introduced soy today so we will see how she does (she really loves yogurt and liked to the soy yogurt).

When i asked her Doctor a last week if she could be MSPI, he said ya maybe!  I told him 9mos ago that I thought whole milk and dairy were giving her problems and asked if she could have a milk allergy....so i used the wrong term.  She is probably not Milk allergic but MPI - i could have hit him w/ my purse :o

Unfortunately she has had her 5th ear infection in 4mos and the 2 week course of antibiotics they gave her didn't work.  But that was before stopping the dairy so i am still hopefull that this will mean she won't have to need to have tubes.   She has been fussy all week (i thought it was her molars hurting) and it wasn't until today when she couldn't walk because her equilibrium was soo off that i figured it out.  I can't wait until she can tell me what hurts, poor baby.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 19:21:36 pm »
Wow, I am so glad you found us and did the no-dairy thing. Hoping for you it is just dairy. Soy is in everything.

Hope she's feeling better soon. Tubes aren't the end of the world, if she needs them. It will help her to heal and feel better. {hugs}
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 18:16:09 pm »
Keep me posted Michelle... BTW - are you giving her probiotics while she's on all these antibiotics? I would stronly suggest so if not. Baby Jarodophilus is a good dairy free one and there are others - Udo's Choice is another. Should be easy for you to find in CA - organic markets, Whole Foods, etc.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01