Author Topic: HELP. MSPI  (Read 1233 times)

Offline jessyandsophie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:24:33 pm »
I really need to get your advice, as mommy's! My daughter is 12 months. As an infant she vomittied ALL formulas and ended up on neocate at 6wks old. She also had reflux, ear infections that led to tubes at 10wks, and a chronic nasty cough..
Her Ph probe came back as significant reflux 7 out of the 20 times she coughed. There was also milk non acid reflux. She is on prevacid, with zantac added in.
She immediately sneezes, gets a runny nose and spits up if she gets milk, cheese, yogurt or butter. She has been eating foods with hidden dairy. She drinks soy formula, as of 2 months ago. She has chronic sinus infections..
She was given soy yogurt last night and she got a red rash on her face, and spit up immediately. She only had 10 bites. Our allergist said NO SOY, NO MILK. So, she has been on soy formula for 2 months, with no reason to believe she was having issues with it (unless you want to blame her sinus issues and cough on that, but now we lean towards reflux)
The nutritionist called and said to go to Rice milk, with adding a powder called duo-cal that will give her the added fats and calories she will need until she is 2.
She also said to cook with canola oil, that has fat in it.
She said to avoid all soy and dairy. OMG... this leaves VERY LITTLE for her to eat.
Would you avoid all soy? Of course, she is getting no soy formula or soy produts anymore, but do you think we need to go extreme and read lables for soy?? Would you? I have heard that the oil and lechitin is okay??

Offline ks6

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 17:14:13 pm »
My ds is 7 months (breast and formula), and we have been off milk and soy for 2 months now.  According to many allergy websites, soy oil and loy lecithin are ok to eat.  There is a thread on MSPI at the top of this forum that was very helpful, including some food options.

I read ALL food labels twice before buying or cooking anything.  It took a while to get used to, but is now second nature.  It won't be so hard keeping ds on the diet now that I've been on it.

I admit we have been eating mostly meat and pasta lately, with a lot of tomato-based sauces.  I've found that many of my favorite recipes can be made with canola (or other oils) substituted for butter, and rice milk instead of cow's milk.  There are some vegetable spreads that have no milk or soy.  The texture of some foods become really interesting...but they still taste allright.

Good luck,
Kim

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Re: HELP. MSPI
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:38:14 am »
Yes, I would avoid all soy, except maybe the oil or lecithin. I do avoid all soy in my diet, as I'm intolerant of it. It actually means I eat pretty healthy and less processed foods - much better for your daughter in the long run to eat healthy starting now.

To give her the best possible chance at living a life without true food allergies, you must eliminate all hidden soy and milk/dairy from her diet as well as the obvious. Getting many months to years of non-exposure is how the gut heals. The reactions you are talking about are scary - they are allergic reactions.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies