Author Topic: constipation, any suggestions?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Re: constipation, any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 12:47:47 pm »
I was just wondering is 6.5 months to young to be giving juice?

What I do is dilute it a lot. I even dilute the stuff for babies that's already supposed to be diluted. I honestly think that water, on a regular basis, to soften the bms is much better for them than juice. The only reason ds gets it is that he refuses to drink water ::). As a guide, I dilute whole juice 1:10 (10 being the water). That would be more than safe for a 6.5 month old, actually would be quite good for them, I think.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 12:52:14 pm »
i also used to dilute diluted juice for  Ryan . he now drinks diluted white grape juice and loads of water.since he has taken to water a lot more we don't seem to have problems like we used to , although he is still on  "lactulose " as his reflux meds are making him constipated also. he used to strain all day ,poor guy did have a rough time.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline shells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 16:22:02 pm »
Thanks for the tip on prune and apple juice. My lo was very colicky for the first 4 months so I will definitely be carefull. I've started to give her 1 tbs of prunes and pears in the morning with her cereal. I hope this isn't to much.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 17:47:55 pm »
I'd be careful with the prunes and pears - both caused DD problems (the prunes more immediate, the pears built up over time). Apricots might be a good optiion

If your LO gets constipated, I'd hold off on cereal altogether.

One good link below - have others on juice in particular.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T042600.asp
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jusser

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 10:25:52 am »
Marisa Mom, my DS is really suffering from intestinal pain and trapped wind and last night I was at the end of my tether when a 15 minute feed at 2.30 led to over an hour of trying to get wind up, exercising etc.  He hadn't done a "proper" BM in about 5 days (sorry to be graphic but Sunday and Monday he did two small bits, not hard but certainly not complete!) and this morning he went again but it was very dark and dry.  I have been trying to get him to drink water but didn't realise about the prunes/pears thing - he has been having them for the last few days in the hopes of getting him more regular - seems from what you say that it might be adding to his problems!?  Think today I will try to get as much water into him as possible. He had his breakfast an hour ago and yesterday 2 hours after bfast he was really crampy and windy - hope we don't get the same today :(.. Am going to check out the link you posted. Tks.
Justine - Mum to my gorgeous Happy Lion.

Offline shells

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 15:15:27 pm »
I think I might try white grape juice instead of the prunes and pears. I would love to try apricots but I can't find them anywhere and the only fruit she will eat so far is the prunes and pears combo, all the other fruits she gags on. I haven't attempted to make my own yet, maybe that could be an option as well.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 15:28:08 pm »
I think making your own food is DEFINITELY the way to go - you can make exactly the consistency you want and don't have to worry about any additives.

You can also buy Gerber white grape juice and dilute it. And I'm sure Welch's has too.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 17:21:21 pm »
I know prunes never worked for my ds when he was really badly constipatied and pears made him really gassy.  Prunes work know but just another suggestion for anyone, 1tsp of brown suger or corn syrup in his bottles(per 4oz) works pretty good.  I ended up in the end having to go to usuing suppositories but b4 that we also tried coliace(you can get it at your drug store and just add it to there food or bottle and that works pretty good as well.
Just a little note, if it does become a problem be sure to get it under control b4 you start veg and meats.
I feel for all u moms who have little los all baunged up, as my little one was for the first 3.5 months of his life.  Not a fun time.
hth anyone :)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mia and Lily's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Princess Mia & Tornado Lily
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 17:00:44 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I just found this post and we are dealing with constipation as well.  I have been giving prunes and pears but have not tried any juices, I actually thought dd was too young for those.  For those of you that are giving juice, are you putting it in a bottle or is this a way to introduce the sippy cup.  Also is there a better time of the day to give the juice.  We have an issue now that all pooping seems to be happening in the middle of the night with lots of straining, so of course lots of waking up, and I would very much like to get away from that one as well.
TIA

Offline Luby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Amelie Rose
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 19:49:35 pm »
Hi There

My LO is the same age and i have found that melon works a treat!  (its v runny when pureed so try adding it to other fruits such as mango!!!

HTH
Luby
x
Luby
xxx

Offline LeslieG

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • Big sis Abigail Grace - lil bro, Lucas Haden
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 01:39:03 am »
I put the juice in a sippy cup with half water, half apple juice. I introduced a sippy cup early on and made sure that I usually used water. She only gets juice about once a week and usually at breakfast or lunch if I notice that she is a bit constipated.  We haven't had a problem with night time poops for quite a while so I can't really help you.. Sorry!

The cup I use is an AVENT bottle with a sippy nipple. The only bad thing is that when she tips the cup upside down all the liquid runs out.  I need to buy her the no leak version!

Leslie

Offline Mia and Lily's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Princess Mia & Tornado Lily
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 18:19:35 pm »
Well, we tried the juice today and it was a total bust.  She did not want anything to do with it.  We tried, in bottle, in sippy cup, cold, slightly warm, nothing worked.  Maybe I need to try the corn syrup in the bottle.  Is it just regular corn syrup and how much do you put?

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 16:45:48 pm »
You fcan use either cornsyrup or brown suger.  Just your regular corn syurp.  You add 1/4 tsp to every 4 ozs of formula.
It might take a day or 2 but does work, after a couple bowel movement stop with it and see how things go. 
It might be a good idea to brush or use a cloth to wipe gums/teeth morning and night, just with the sugar.
hth :)

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 18:54:55 pm »
i have always used pears/prunes/apricots/peaches and diluted pear and prune juice...i think i sometimes go overload when i realize she's getting constipated and well u know - too much of a good thing....isn't so good anymore and dd will sometimes end up with tummy aches from everything.  i do try to get as much water in her in a day as i can but isn't always possible depending on her mood although i always give her some water with meals.  we have started meats and i think that is the culprit at the moment as we don't do cereal anymore for the same reason.  i have now gone to giving her meats every other day and it seems a bit better.  i will definately try the white grape juice - never thought of that - i don't know of any stores that carry gerber foods/juices in canada - but u said that the juice for adults is good diluted??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 19:11:33 pm »
Tawyna, the juice for adults should be fine - just dilute - like 1/2 juice to 1/2 water. White grape is much easier on the tummy than pear or prune (or apple for that matter).

Be careful of the corn syrup or brown sugar. It can work but not good to give infants too much sugar (or honestly, too much juice before 6 months for that matter). If you are dire, MoM (millk of magnesia) is safe - you can use 1tsp if necessary but again, you don't want to be reliant upon a laxative.