Author Topic: Baby doesn't like to be held  (Read 2403 times)

Offline sadnewmom feeling better

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: February 10, 2006, 18:18:06 pm »
I've started feeding my 9 week old baby propped up in the boppy or bouncer (i hold bottle, of course).  I think the horrible allergies and reflux he had for his first 6 weeks (round the clock screaming until we hit on the right formula and I weaned him off the breast) have given him an aversion to the being held, which he associates with bottle, burping,  and all the pain and crying.  If I hold him on my lap facing out, he is ok for a little while (I think because this isn't a feeding or burping position), but in a cradle hold or upright on my shoulder hold he cries.  This is a total pain, because it makes cuddling and comforting so hard.  I don't think PU/PD will work for me, because picking him up doesn't settle him, it just makes him more upset.  The swing works like a charm, but I'm trying not to make him more "swing" addict than he already is.  My question is: have any of you who made it through painful feeding problems encountered this, and did your baby eventually warm to being held again?  I hate always having to quick "drop him" in a seat or device, so he doesn't get annoyed in my arms.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Baby doesn't like to be held
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 18:49:11 pm »
We've also had similar problems with our refluxer. We often feed him in his high chair. Obviously with a 9 week old you can't do that. Generally it's easier for them and more comfortable for a lo with reflux to eat in an upright position, rather than the laying down or tilted position associated with being held. To answer your question, I wouldn't worry about "dropping" your lo in something to eat. It's going to make him eat better and also feel better. Eventually he might become more comfortable with being held again, but he might always need to be upright while eating, whether it's on your lap sitting up, in a chair or what not.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Baby doesn't like to be held
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 02:24:35 am »
I agree...I would keep trying to hold him but if he fusses, then put him down.  He may eventually "grow" into being more cuddly.  Though some babies just aren't.  I could hold John for feedings be he was never a cuddler in general.  If pu/pd is too stimulating, you may want to stick with pat/sshhh or any form of that.  :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom