Author Topic: Stage 2 formula  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Stage 2 formula
« on: February 10, 2006, 18:18:33 pm »
If this has been posted before I'm sorry, but I can't find it.

What I need to know is do I need to switch my LO onto Stage 2 formula? and if so when do I switch her? She's 5.5 months old now and I know the stage 2 formula says its for 6 months plus.
What are the advantages or disadvantages of  switching?

Thanks
Kimberly

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Stage 2 formula
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 02:34:41 am »
Hi  :)

Not quite sure what stage 2 formula is but I've never used it or had it recommended from the doctors.  Now I know some formulas have added lipils to more closely simulate breastmilk...and since it is recommended to bf up until at least 6 months if possible I used the lipil formula up until that age.  :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Adoptivemom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 03:53:13 am »
I was told in the hospital that there is no need to switch formulas - whatever you start with is fine. The nurses were referring to not bothering to switch to the "Next Step Toddler formula". I don't know if that is what you mean by Stage 2 formula.

Offline dinah34134

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 21:14:08 pm »
there is no big need to switch to stage 2 formula.  from what i've heard stage two formula has more calcium in it than the regular formula.

where i am the stage 2 formula is cheaper than the regular formula (for the name brands like similac and nestle).  but the no name formula is still cheaper.

we had andrew on the stage formula for a while.  the doctor said it was no problem to switch him onto it at six months.  but then i switched him to the no name formula simply b/c of the cost (we are on a very small budget).  i haven't noticed any difference in andrew.

hope that helps! :)

Offline CarrisElliTylerMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 18:35:43 pm »
I don't know about in the USA, but here in the UK we are recommended to switch to stage 2 formula at 6 months as it is rich in iron. Babies use up their iron store that they are born with by the time they are 6 months old and this is why this formula has been developed.
Our daughter Carris is 9 on 5th August

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 11:01:19 am »
I am going to switch to stage 2 (followon) milk at 6 month.
Lauren x

Offline janelle

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 11:50:41 am »
WE were told that it wasn't necessary to switch to the satge 2 formula.  We decided to anyway and the sresult was our dd became really constipated.  Something ot do with extra iron or calcium (can't remember sorry too long ago!) so we switched back to the regular and she did fine!
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 22:57:59 pm »
We switched tp stage two formula at 6months with no problems, i agree it definatly has more iron, calcium and some extra vitamins that babies need at this age.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 05:28:15 am »
Quick update. Kaylas new doctor (YAY!! we finally got one) switched Kayla to stage 2 formula due to her persistent constipation and her lack of growth. He suggested we switch since the stage 2 has higher calsium and less iron and he's hoping that it will help her both grow and stop being constipated. he's also hopeing it will help her reflux :)
wish us luck that she takes well to it.
Kimberly

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 05:30:41 am »
I don't know about in the USA, but here in the UK we are recommended to switch to stage 2 formula at 6 months as it is rich in iron. Babies use up their iron store that they are born with by the time they are 6 months old and this is why this formula has been developed.

Just thought I'd make a note. In Canada and the USA formula's are iron fortified right from the start. The stage 2 formula's actually tend to have less iron, due to the intake of iron from foods, and more calsium to aid with bone development.
 Then there is also a toddler formula but I'm not to sure whats with that. Anyone know?? whats so special about it?
Kimberly

Offline potlaura

• Showing Appreciation 168
  • mum of three fabulous boys from n.ireland
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 09:43:47 am »
hi
   tom had his milk changed to stage 2 about 10 weeks ago to help his growth and routine. however my heath visitor suggested i return him to the stage one milk when he started spoon feeding. as yet i have not done this to be honest am afriad too incase we go backwards with his routine.
Like the other posts suggest i think it is for the different levels of vitamins and iron in the formula (uk) If your baby is doing well and growing well i would not panic about it but ask your doc or health visitor they might be able to give you more info  :)
Jack 31.12.98
Tom 06.09.06
Euan 28.12.2011