Author Topic: Pump Question  (Read 1236 times)

Offline birdie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 127
  • Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
Pump Question
« on: February 10, 2006, 23:42:31 pm »
We are expecting our first in August. A friend of ours has offered to sell us a "slightly used" Pump in Style for a really good price. The pump is 3.5 years old. At the time the bought it, it ran for $240. It is double sided with variable everything. I am tempted buy the pump, but I do not know anything about pumps.

So, I am curious about several things. First, has anyone used this pump? What do you think? Has the model changed enough over past few years to require a brand-spanking new one? Second, with Tracy's teaching to feed one side at a time, is double sided really the way to go?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Wendy

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 23:48:51 pm by birdie »
Certified Birth Doula (CBI)

Mom of Four Angels: WENDY

Always Remembered: REECE BRADFORD born still at 38 weeks (August 4, 2006)

Our Miracle Boy: IAN MICHAEL (October 17, 2007)

annamum

Re: Pump Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 00:18:25 am »
I think Pump in Style is really the top you can have. It is 3 years old but how many times was it used? For one baby or more? What does she consider slightly used? I pumped maybe 10 times total using my manual Medela, for somebody else it could be 100 times, ykwim.

As far as I know pumps are considered to be a personal item products from higienic point of view. But if you buy all new pieces that come in contact with your breast and milk, you probably will be fine. Also, but this is me, do you know her well enough to know she hasn't been sick...

Offline Chantel03

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 00:39:04 am »
Is it the one in the black bag?  If it is it's a good one.  I would buy all new tubing, and parts to go with it, but the pump part just clean it.  When Twas born I had to pump cus he was early, and they let me use the hospital one, and then after I rented one from the hospital.  So it can't be that unsafe to use a used pump if a hospital will rent them out. 

Anyways I pumped both sides, but that was cus T couldnt empty my breast, so I would have to pump after him.  But you dont have to pump both sides I think if you unhook the tube, and plug it you can just pump your one side.  I would at least look at it.  Check on the net what the new one is like and then compare.  But I wouldn't worry about using a used one if you get all the tubing and stuff for it then you should be fine.  I got tubing and stuff from the hospital, but you can buy it anywhere.

Good Luck....
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

Offline lilbradi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My bright eyed little man!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 01:09:06 am »
Birdie -

That's the pump I bought for myself as well.  I have no complaints.  It serves it's purpose and the bag it's stored in is nice enough so that when you carry it out, no one knows what you've got in there!  :)     My only suggestion to you would be to wait and buy a new one for yourself.  The reason I say this is because I tried a couple of different pumps before I bought this one.  We have a breastfeeding store in town and they allow you to 'try before you buy' in the store.  (It was nice because they were able to discuss all of the benefits and differences with me)  If you have that sort of option in your town, I would say to do that first.  I tried 3 different styles and brands.  2 of them worked well for me and 1 didn't.  (What's crazy is that the 1 that didn't is the same type of pump I used with my 1st!)   If you plan on going back to work and need a good pump, I would make sure the pump will work for your shape/let down.  Especially since they're so costly!

In terms of feeding from each side - that's all going to depend on your milk supply.  With my first, he was able to take a full side and then a bit from the other side each time.  With my latest, I have to feed him from the same breast twice in a row because I produce so much milk that he can't empty 1 side at a feeding so he doesn't reach the fatty milk!  (He has packed on the pounds so he's getting plenty - I just produce a lot of milk!)  My lactation consultant said that milk supply depends on the woman and the demand of the child.  Once your lo gets here, you'll be able to determine how much he can handle vs. how much you produce and then you can figure out what works best.  Make sense?

Good luck and Congrats!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 18:32:10 pm »
like Monika said if it was never really used & you got all new parts to go with it (and you knew the friend wasn't unhealthy - like HIV unhealthy) it would probably be okay.  the ones in the hospital can be taken apart and sterilized; that's why so many different people can use them - and they give new accessories to each mom. 

as far as double sided goes, most of the electric ones come that way because that's how a lot of American women go about bf in general (coudln't tell you about UK).  i single side fed jaina, and if i ever needed to pump, i just pumped the one breast that was due to feed her and was fine. 

*personally* i liked Medela's double ease far more than i liked the pump in style, but just about everyone i know uses PIS and loves it.  i ended up using the PIS cause after 6 months of full time pumping for luke, my double ease flat out broke.  it was not meant for such a workout, but a PIS could handle it as i weaned.   

(oh - ps - i PM'd you earlier this week; hopefully you got it!)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 02:57:37 am »
I have the PIS and I LOVE it.  Wonderfully easy to use and (for me at least) was able to pump lots of milk.  You can adapt it so it's either single or double sided  (there's a cap you put over one of the places where the tubing hooks into) and it has lots of variable speeds and stuff so you can use the one best for you.  My sister has the PIS from about 3 years ago and it looks very similar to mine which I bought this past April, so there's probably not a big difference - I think the difference is that Medela has now come out with at least one more pump that's a step above that one.  I always pumped double sided because Katie after the first few weeks when my overabundant supply led to her having a hrd time keeping up, she was interested in both sides.  For what it's worth, I know some women have supply problems when they feed single sided, so keep that in mind when you start. 
HTH!

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 04:04:14 am »
I have the older and the newer PIS- and I prefer the newer one. My old one is 3 1/2 - 4 years old. PIS is areaaly good choice if you are going  to be pumping daily.
Jeni