Author Topic: Almost 1yr, need advice on EASY routine  (Read 1224 times)

Offline kal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 11, 2006, 01:09:04 am »
DS is alsmost a year old and I plan on moving to milk and a sippy in the next few weeks, the issue is that he normally has a full bottle in the am and then an hour later breakfast, when we move to milk its not going to be possible to move his breakfast up earlier so I don't know how to fix his schedule so he's not starving in the morning, also how much milk should they be drinking per day at 1yr?
I listed a sample of what I might try below..let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Now-
630a-Wake
7am-8oz bottle
8am- Breakfast w/water in sippy
930a-Nap
11am-5oz bottle
1230p-Lunch w/water in sippy
200 or 230pm - Nap
330p-Snack with water in sippy
530-Dinner
645p-8oz bottle
7pm-Bed

New Schedule-
630a-Wake
7am- Sippy w/milk
8am-Breakfast
930a-Nap
11am-Snack w/sippy of water
1230p-Lunch w/sippy of milk
2 or 230p-Nap
330p- Snack w/sippy of water
530p-Dinner with sippy of water
645p-Sippy w/milk
7pm-Bed

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Almost 1yr, need advice on EASY routine
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 02:01:58 am »
Hello  :)

At one year of age, I had already combined meals with the sippy (or maybe bottle in your case).  So when Zoe wakes at 7 I get her up and change her clothes and then let her play while I make breakfast so she eats breakfast with her sippy at around 8.  Then sometimes a mid morning snack which is usually just her sippy.  Then I do lunch with her sippy around 11-11:30.  Snack between 2-3 depending on naps and then supper at 5-5:30 with sipppy.  If she doesn't eat a good supper I offer the sippy again before bed.

You had mentioned not being able to push the breakfast back...is it a timing issue?

Hope this helps some  :) I think the goal is to have them drink/eat at the same time like we do and snacks inbetween.

Not positive of the recommended amounts at one year but if she's getting at least 10-15 along with other calcium fortified foods,  I think you're fine.
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 15:40:10 pm »
I agree with Noelle.  The idea is to try and combine milk intake with meals, and offer snacks in between.  Could you try to decrease his bottle intake over time and replace those oz with milk in the sippy at meal time?  That way he might wean from the bottle.  We just had dd's 1 yo check up and her ped recommended 16-24 oz of whole milk per day, but urged not to give more than 24 oz. 
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline kal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 00:41:54 am »
Thanks for the advice, I'd like to do mil in the sippy with meals but there are two issues that I don't know how to deal with, the first is that he normally wakes around 6 or 630a but on the days I have to work I can't give him breakfast at home and he dosen't go to my sisters house till about 8am so I'm worried if I give him nothing to eat or drink between 6-8am he'll be starving, what do you think?
Also, I'm really not ready to cut out a bottle/milk from the bedtime routine because he goes down really well at night and the time with his bottle really helps him to wind down, I'm thinking of either doing a sippy w/milk or keeping the bottle for alittle longer for bedtime only, I guess I'm not sure if this will work till I try it

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 01:17:04 am »
I know of many babies that take a morning and a bedtime bottle up to 18 mos - 2 yrs, so I don't see that it would be a problem.  You may find that as he gets older (I'm just speaking from what I've learned from others since my dd is the same age), he will be able to go longer between waking and eating, therefore, eliminating the bottle on his own.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007