Author Topic: Appropriate amount of fluids for 16-mo old?  (Read 916 times)

Offline shines

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Appropriate amount of fluids for 16-mo old?
« on: February 11, 2006, 02:53:14 am »
Hi,

My 16-month old is still nursing, mostly just a little at bed time (6:30-7:00pm), and once in the night (2 out of 3 nights, usually), and on average once a day.  No feedings are very long; the morning one is the longest.  On top of this, dd gets a 6-8oz bottle before her nap around 11, and sometimes a 5-8oz bottle around 3 (maybe 1 out of 2 days), and then at bed time 6-8oz.  She also sips water throughout the day.

I'm considering trying to break the bottle before bed habit (at least the night bed time bottle around 6:30-7:00pm).  Do I necessariliy need to give her more fluids during the day?  I don't want her to start waking more in the middle of the night, but maybe I don't need to worry.  Maybe just offer more water during the day?

Thanks if you have any suggestions.
Shawn
Shawn
Mama to Camryn Shea (Touchy/Spirited Gem)
and Dustin Thomas (Textbook Sweety)

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Appropriate amount of fluids for 16-mo old?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 14:33:23 pm »
Can you clarify for me?!  :)

Are you wanting to eliminate all intake at 7pm or do you just not want her to nurse then?

If it is the first one then yes I would definatly encourage her to take more fluids in the daymostly around meal time or maybe a bottle at 12 if you think that wouldnt interfere with her solid intake. Another idea is to introduce water instead of nursing and gradually reduce the amount.

If it is the second then I would try giving her water she may make a fuss or she may accept it if the water comes with a snuggle from mum so your not losing that closness.

Before you try anything though I would wait for one of the extended nursing mums to post as they may well have been in your situation.

HTH
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06