Author Topic: Help with weaning ASAP!  (Read 1053 times)

Offline nike

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Boys Just Wanna Have Fun!
Help with weaning ASAP!
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:29:14 am »
Hi there.  This is my first post but I have been in lurkedom for a while now.  I have already got so much from this forum but now I need some major help! 

DS is 8.5 months old and (I thought) has been self-weaning for a while now.  I wasn't altogether unhappy that he kind of made the decision himself, although there were a few tears shed over the last couple of days when the finality of it really hit me.  I think my hormones are going haywire!  I didn't do a b'feed from Wednesday morning till a night feed last night (Friday).  In that time I only had to express a tiny amount for comfort, although my boobs were slightly hard.  I was actually surprised that it was so "easy" to stop. 

DS is on a major feeding strike in general - will only feed about 400 ml a day if I'm lucky and is only eating minimal solids.  Yogurt and fruit is about all he's interested in atm.  He has been having a bottle of formula given to him by Daddy every night before bed since November.  He has had the occasional bottle now and then and is happy enough to take one.  I know he likes this formula and the particular teat we're using.  Out of frustration this afternoon, I took him into his nursery and breastfed him (we had visitors and I thought this might be the reason he wouldn't take a bottle).  He was happy to feed from me and I was surprised I actually felt my letdown.  Now I'm confused!! ??? ??? ???  I totally underestimated how emotional I'd feel about weaning and now I think I'd like to push through if I can - and if DS obliges.  I'd especially like to keep up the a.m. feed.  My dilemma is have I now totally mucked up my milk supply since I didn't b'feed for over 48 hours?  Should I start pumping like crazy now?  Or is this a normal reaction - am I just grieving the end of b'feeding and should I persist with weaning?  Aargh!!  I think 90% of me wants to wean completely but I'm just so torn.  And what the heck am I doing to my poor DS?  I don't want to confuse him either.  HELP!!

I should add that DS is cutting his two front teeth, although he is a very happy little chappy during the day.  He started sleeping through (6.30 p.m. to about 5.30 a.m.) about a month ago.  He's woken a couple of times during the night in the last week, I think because he's hungry.
ME: 37 (IVF survivor of 4 m/c + 1 ect)
DH: 36 (my hero)
DS1: 20/05/05 (our miracle natural conception)
DS2: 18/12/06 (2nd miracle; 5 weeks prem)

Offline nike

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Boys Just Wanna Have Fun!
Re: Help with weaning ASAP!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 08:45:39 am »
I'm happy to report he actually ate a good dinner tonight but then only drank 100 ml (4.5 ounces) of his last bottle before bed.  That's a grand total of 340 ml for today - 140 ml for breakfast at 7.15 a.m., 100 ml at 12 p.m. and 100 ml at 6.10 p.m.  I have been offering him a bottle periodically during the day and after both of his naps.  Hoping this is just a phase  ??? 
ME: 37 (IVF survivor of 4 m/c + 1 ect)
DH: 36 (my hero)
DS1: 20/05/05 (our miracle natural conception)
DS2: 18/12/06 (2nd miracle; 5 weeks prem)

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: Help with weaning ASAP!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:57:56 am »
well you certainly can't make him take more, my dd was the same when we weaned, eventally she took more, we dropped the night milk before that afternoon and morning feed, the morning was the last one to be dropped and i was really worried about this and dd didn't even care  :'( :'( :'( my dd doesn't eat much solids either, it was always a struggel, hang in it's early days, some weeks she like one thing and other weeks she wouldn't even touch it, figure that, all you can do is offer a healthy diet and stay away from junk, all the best