Author Topic: Enough weight gain?  (Read 1229 times)

Offline mumofboyandgirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 11, 2006, 09:24:10 am »
HI

My little boy who is 11.5 weeks, was born big 4.65kgs (10 pound 4 ounces) was gaining weight rapidly, at least 200 grams a week, but now the last three weeks he has only gained 100 grams or less. He feeds on demand, he is on a 2.45 hour routine, of 2 hours up 45 minutes down. I feed him when he gets up and then give him a bit of a top up before bed (well actually I mostly feed him to sleep, which I know I have to get out of). He sleeps between 10-12 hours straight at night, and has since 8 weeks. I don't know if I should be worried about his slow weight gain lately. He was above the 97th percentile (and still is for his height) and now is on 75th percentile.

Should I be worried, and what should I do about it?

Belinda

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Enough weight gain?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 11:03:17 am »
It may be, if has recently become a  little more active or is awake more, that he is burning more calories. It sounds to me as though he is eating enough in the day and you are very lucky to have him sleep through the night! Babies tend to gain about half an ounce to an ounce a day up until three or four months so waht is happening is completly normal. If you are still worried just talk to your health visitor but I am sure she will agree with me.

Just to add that you are probally due for a growth spurt soon (usually around 12weeks) remember to feed on demand and not to be tempted to supplement (unless of course you allready do!  :) ) as he will be feeding more frequently to up your milk supply.

It sounds to me as though you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 13:48:52 pm »
Belinda:  I agree, it does sound like he's right on track.  One thing that a nurse pointed out to me was that all the weight gain charts typcially are for formula fed infants and not for bf babies....  so although the chart helps in the beginning, I personally believe that bf babies gain weight a little differently.  Just food for thought.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 14:14:35 pm »
He sounds good to me -
I would say unless a dr expresses a concern, any weight gain is fine!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 14:20:11 pm »
So long as he is gaining, I wouldn't worry.  The fact is that some babies are at the 97th percentile, some at the 10th - neither is abnormal in any way - still within the norms.  Therefore, if he's eating, otherwise happy and having all the wet diapers, keep going as is.

annamum

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 21:23:42 pm »
Actually it is normal for breastfed infants to gain weight rapidly in first weeks of life and then to start slowing down. With formula fed babies they growth is more steady and linear while bfed infants have a big gain in first weeks, say first 3-4 months and then they just don't grow that fast anymore. My dd doubled her weight in first 3 months, went from 7'4" to 15', then really slowed down. There is nothing to worry about, it is natural. Don't let anybody, especially pediatricians convince you that he is not growing according to some charts, those were invented in fifies for formula fed babies.