Author Topic: 14 month old waking in middle of night  (Read 994 times)

Offline swhite0818

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 12, 2006, 16:17:49 pm »
Hopefully someone has run into this problem and can give me some advice....my 14 month old son has started waking around 2:30 / 3:30 in the morning.  He was always a very good sleeper, but was sick about a month ago and started this behavior at that time.  Initially when he started waking up in the middle of the night, we thought he might be going through a growth spurt, so we gave him a bottle at that time.  Now, without fail, he wakes up at that time every night - and SCREAMS for an hour (I have stopped giving him the bottle since I think he's just wanting it out of habit.)  How long will it take to get him to sleep through the night again?  Any suggestions!??!

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: 14 month old waking in middle of night
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 00:05:36 am »
Hi there

I can't respond right now but I wanted to bump you back up to the first page.

I'll check back and post when I can but hopefully someone esle might have some suggestions for you in the meantime.

Cheers
Jo

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 14 month old waking in middle of night
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 03:25:49 am »
How long it takes for him to stop waking depends on his nature & how long the habit has been there.

Are you responding to him when he wakes or leaving him to cry on his own. If he is being left on his own while crying he is going to be quite distressed & may just cause more waking & day time problems in the long run.

If you go in & comfort him & "show him that it is time to go back to sleep, but no bottle" It may take a while, but he will not have the sense of being abandoned that a 14month old in the thick of separation anxiety will have & he should return back to his old good sleeping habits.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05