Author Topic: 4 Month Old Night Wakings-What do I do??  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Ciaran's mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 4 Month Old Night Wakings-What do I do??
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 20:33:20 pm »
Nicole,
I had the exact same problem with my lo, he wouldn't for the life of me sleep longer then 45 min almost to the min every nap, which meant that he was only able to be awake for an hour or so before he needed another nap. This was fine until he started waking up every hour at night as well.  :(

I read Tracy's book and found that I needed to putt him on a 4 hour schedule, and try to lenthen his naps by doing pu/pd and patting and shushing. the first day went better then expected with him waking at 45 min and after about half an hour of patting he went back down for 10 min, then after about 5 min he went back down for another 45. The afternoon nap was much harder but after about a week I could get him back to sleep for the morning nap in a few min and he would sleep for about 10 min at a time with the afternoon nap. Then just this week he started to sleep for 1 1/2-2 hours for his morning naps without waking up and after about 15 min with his afternoon naps he's back asleep for 45 or so. He did regress quite badly after about  6-7 days (see the second post I put up) and I was so frustrated because I thought we had fixed the problem and I was ready to give up. Thanks to Jo and my mom I stuck with it and he's back on track.

All of this has affected his nightime schedule and it was an absolute mess for those 2 weeks but now we're a bit better on track with him waking at least 2 times after his dreamfeed. If he can't be patted back to sleep in a few min I feed him. It seems to be working better then before, but I think, as Jo said, they need to be fed 1-2 times a night at this age, and I found that when I stopped feeding him at night he started waking more often.

As for the daytime feeding I find my lo has all of the sudden become very distracted at the slightest noise, so I'm starting to bring him into a room where nobody is to feed him, just to help with that. And I also try to give him about 20 min before sleep with no t.v or noise and just a quiet song or even just humming (he seems to really like it when i hum...... ???) to calm him before going into his room and his crib. I realize that I only have one kid and therefore this is much easier to do then when you have 3! But hopefully something about this can help you. I know just how you feel it is very confusing and hard to tell what the right thing to do is, but the best advice I can give is whatever you do, be consistent and try not to worry so much (easier said then done, believe me I know!).

I hope this helps and you get some sleep!! Also, check out the nap board, they may have more tips.......

Jasmine
Jasmine
Mommy to Ciaran-Born Oct 14th 2005

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 00:03:04 am »
Hi Nicole

I second everything Jasmine said - spot on!!  Good luck

Jo

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 01:29:58 am »
No advice for anyone as we have the same issue.  In fact, I was so upset and completely exhausted the other day, I made a desperate post.  I didn't care about how unhappy DD got or whatever trust issues might manifest later, I just wanted her to sleep.  So, no one is alone in this - although I can totally relate to feeling that way!

My DD is 4MO and the advice I got was to limit her daytime naps.  I came up with a schedule that gives her 2 naps lasting 1.5 hours and a 45 minute catnap (although reality is probably going to be 45min nap, then 2 hr nap, then 45 min catnap).  We're trying to get to this, but yesterday she had 3.5hr of naps and slept much better.  Woke at 1am for a feed, 3am for paci, 4am for paci, 5am for a feed, 5:45 for paci and 6:30 for paci.  :o Yes, believe it or not, that is an improvement.  ::) Also, someone advised using Wake-To-Sleep if your LO is waking at the same time every night. And, finally, sometimes the paci can be a curse.  We gave it up about a month ago and lasted about a week before caving in and giving it back for a trip that we took.  DD slept like a champ - woke twice to eat and right back to sleep.  We've never slept so good.  Boy, those were the days!

Good luck to all the sleepless moms (and dads) and if you find anything that works, PLEASE POST!!!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 01:39:44 am »
Hi Casey

Sounds to me like the problem for Katie might be the paci.  It will be a while before she can find and replace the paci herself.  Some mums and dads decide that weaning the paci just isn't worth it - they are prepared to get up and replace the paci as needed during the night.  Other parents decide that they aren't willing to do that and so go through paci weaning.  If you do decide that you want to wean, you could look at the gradual weaning thread at the top of this board and start using those principles (pulling the paci out before DD falls asleep) or look at the props board for other assistance.

Good luck to you
Jo

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 17:22:48 pm »
Hi Jo!  Yeah, I think the paci is actually a curse in our house.  But, she's starting daycare in about a week (will have a week with mom visits before we "go live") and with that big of a transition, I just can't bring myself to take it away.  It was so traumatic when we did it in January - she set her crying record of 1hr 48min.  It's around 7MO when they can replace it themselves, right?  I figure if we're at 4MO, we're over half way there.  Another 3 should go by quickly - especially when you throw work into the mix.  But, that's just how I feel today.  Maybe if the daycare transition goes easily and they don't mind a bit of extra work with naps while she kicks the habit, maybe we'll give it another go. 
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 01:05:31 am »
Hi Casey

I completely understand where you are coming from with not wanting to make any big changes/take away DDs comfort item before starting day care.

Sorry - I have no idea when they start to be able to reinsert the paci - my DS gave his up at 5 months of his own volition.

Good luck with the daycare and good luck with the night wakings - hope it all goes ok
Cheers
Jo