Author Topic: how close to feed time to pump when away from baby?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
how close to feed time to pump when away from baby?
« on: February 13, 2006, 00:16:48 am »
How close to feed time should you pump when you're away from baby i.e. at work in order to keep your supply up?  I just know there will be times that I'll be in a meeting or lunch or something and not be able to pump righton time amd am curious how close to time does it need to be to keep supply up for baby?  For example today, I took a bottle of ebm to give baby at church and although he ended up waiting to be hungry until after so I could pump at a similar time, I know there'll be times when the timing doesn't work out.  I'm still trying to figure out this whole pumping thing...  Also, can you miss pumping a feed every now and then and not hurt your supply, even though I know my breasts won't feel good?  ;) 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 01:43:05 am by Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom »

annamum

Re: how close to feed time to pump when away from baby?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 02:36:48 am »
Well, I imagine that we are not robots and if we miss a feed by a couple of minutes or half an hour our supply will be fine. We can be flexible as our bodies are amazing to adjust to the need. Even if you skip a feed/pumping once in a while nothing serious will happen, yes, you may be uncomfortable ;). As a rule, if your supply is generally good, you don't need to obsess about feeding times, it would be a different story if you had supply issues. I would probably not advice skipping feeds before 6 weeks when your supply is well established but if you happen to forget once, don't worry.

Of course, if you can keep it regular and by the clock, it will be even better but in my opinion, anything in half an hour range is OK.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:38:31 am by annamum »