Author Topic: bottle feeding help  (Read 1057 times)

Offline clare076

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 13, 2006, 05:01:46 am »
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you bottle feed?

I offer my 8 week old lo a bottle when she gives hunger signs and she will usually drink around 3.5oz,(takes about 10mins to drink) then spit the bottle out.

I will then try to burp her and immediately offer the bottle again. She hardly ever takes anymore. Should I wait 10-15 mins then re-offer the bottle or just assume she is finished?

She would probably drink around 25oz a day and now weighs 12lb 4 oz. (7lb3oz at birth) so gaining weight well.

Also if it is only taking her 10mins to drink the bottle (sometimes it is only 5 mins) should I go back to a slower flow teat? She does tend to guzzle her feed and vomits regularly

Clare

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Re: bottle feeding help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:36:05 am »
Hi Clair

If she's guzzling and vomiting then I'd try the slower teat again. She might be a little frustrated at first because she'll have to work a bit harder but it can't hurt to give it a try.

For her weight that average calculation of the amount of formula works out about 30oz. That said - if she's still gaining weight and is happy then she could just be one of those babies that drinks less.

I'd say you only really need to worry if she stops gaining weigh or seems unhappy or unwell.

HTH

love
Marie