Author Topic: sleepy 2 week old  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Rachelf

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
sleepy 2 week old
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:57:44 pm »
Hey

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for putting a sleepy 2 n a bit wk old on e.a.s.y. Have been aiming at it for about 48 hours but am finding he wants to have 4 hr schedule during the day but 3 hr at night and is struggling with a 3 hr day schedule...getting overtired after his feed and not wanting to go down for his sleep. Just wondering what other peoples experiences are or have been in the first 6 weeks.  :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 21:58:42 pm by Diego's Mama »

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: sleepy 2 week old
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 10:03:18 am »
if he wants to feed only every 4 hours is that because he naps straight through until it is almost 4 hours since last feed or is it b/c you offer a feed at 3 hours and he does not want to feed much?

can you post what today looked like with awake times, feeds and length of naps.  feeding every 3 hrs at night is normal too. how long is he awake for that he is then overtired? how long is he feeding for (is he BF?)

2 weeks old i still really early and it is really a time to focus on getting to know him and his cues so if he is getting overtired you are learning to cut back on his A time etc - at this age there really is almost no actual "A" time beyond feeding and changing for most babies so don't worry about trying to keep him up for a certain length of time after the feed - just change his nappy to break up tyhe feeding and sleeping parts.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Rachelf

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:54:29 pm »
Hey since my last post we have changed things a bit...I got Tracy's 3rd book which helped and we had 2 gd days of a 3 hr routine 7 am - 7pm. We used the 4 s wind down routine bit - also got some dummies so is easier to tell when he's hungry and when he just wants some comfort, but not much joy with cluster feeding or dream feeding. In the book Tracy said it was ok with littlies but am thinking may leave those for a while.

Since last night tho he has had trouble settling - maybe overstimulated as we had relatives come down y day?? Is sleeping now tho but have to take him to clinic in a mo so will have to wake him up again!!

Anyway y day went
E   7am (woke him up took about 10 mins)
A   Not sure how long but inc nappy change and some time lying on sheepskin looking at toys and a cuddle
S   8 am

E   10.15 (woke him up)
A   As above
S   11.10

E   1.15
A   
S   Was a bit restless so came downstairs and had cuddles, fell asleep in arms

E   4.15 (v sleepy difficult to wake up)
A   Cuddles
S   5.00

E   6.00 - cat nap (had to wake him but he went down again no probs)
A  7.00 bath
S  7.30

E   9.20 (woke him for a feed)
S   Wouldn't settle to sleep - Was easily soothed but kept waking up when about to go into deep sleep. I think this is prob where I went wrong maybe??? Lost routine and 
     pat/shh - became a bit desperate as was tired.
E   0.00am took 1 oz then went to sleep no probs
S   12.10am

E   3.30am
S Had difficulty settling went to sleep about 5.00am

Today he was restless after the 7am feed and the 10.15 feed although he has gone to sleep now.

In answer to your other questions he is formula fed and feeds for 20 - 30 mins taking generally 3 - 4 oz a time. If he is properly awake for an hour he gets overtired. Generally around 45mins we start the wind down routine and he goes down fine sometimes with sometimes without the dummy.

Re the 4 hour feeding, he was just sleeping straight round through the 4 hours but when I wake him and offer food he takes it easily.

Also he's 3 wks today! Hope that all makes sense n gives u an idea of what we're doing TIA :)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 02:47:18 am »
it lookslike you are making progress and on the right path.  just stick to waking him up for regular feeds and encouraging full feeds at all times and over the next few weeks you should be in a good routine (remember to be flexible especially in these early weeks) you are doing great!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified