Author Topic: my 16 month DS refuses togo back to sleep ,screams...  (Read 1542 times)

Offline vibha

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
my 16 month DS refuses togo back to sleep ,screams...
« on: February 14, 2006, 19:28:28 pm »
hi,
  my 16 month old son has suddenly started to wake up at nights screaming , he is clearly awake and does not seem to have nightmares..he seems to wake up at the same time  night after night to which i go into his room( after waiting a bit to see is he self settles) and put him down without much talking saying "night time go to sleep".
and if by chance my husband goes to settle him he goes berserk...and wont stop screaming...so i go most of the times...
he has a good routine in the day i put him to bed around 7:00-7:30...but another problem is wakes up early  around 5:00 some days and refuses to sleep and screams loudly if not taken downstairs to start his day...we have tried to keep him in his own bed till 6:00 but its hard to hear him scream...i end up sleeping on the floor in his room if he wakes up around 4:00 as i refuse to get him in our bed...
he has just had his MMR injection a month ago and this all started after a week of it....but has it got to do anything with his immunisation...he is also just recovering from a very bad cold .
sorry for the long letter...but please any advice is greatly appreciated...
i have no help what-so ever as i have no family in th UK...and my husband and i are the only family my son has...i just need some advice so all of us can get some decent nights sleep without a meltdown every time he wakes up...thank you.

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: my 16 month DS refuses togo back to sleep ,screams...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 21:02:18 pm »
Does he nap?  When and for how long?  And what is your bedtime routine like?

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 21:23:47 pm »
How about trying wake-to-sleep, since he's waking at the same time every night? Go into his room consistently exactly 1 hr before the time he wakes up, and gently resettle him (move him enough that you hear his breathing shift a bit, but not so much to wake him fully). Do this 3 nights in a row, and see if his behavior changes within a few days. This actually might help with the early wakings as well.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 12:54:00 pm »
My ds started with some night wakings at the same age.  I don't know if it was developmental, some seperation anxiety, night terrors, or what.  What helped us get throught them were offering water when he woke, as sometimes he was just thirsty.  Keep the talking and interaction to a minimum, so as not to encourage it.  Has he gotten his molars and eyeteeth yet?  If not these could be the culprit and some pain meds before bed may help as well.  We also dealt with early wakings as well.  When ds woke really early I would go in to him and pick him up if need be, and he would cry and scream to go downstairs, and for milk, etc..  But i would just tell him no and that it was time to go to sleep.  He would carry on and I just stood firm that we were not leaving his room.  Eventually he would be ok to go back in his crib, and sometimes he would go back to sleep, and other times we would start all over again un til it was 6 and then I would bring him down.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions let me know!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline vibha

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 18:49:30 pm »
hi,
our daily routine is

6:00-6:30 wake up
7:00 breakfast
9:30 juice /snack
12:00 lunch
1:00 -3:00 sleep
3:15 snack
5:30 dinner
6:30 bath/pj's/milk
7:30 sleep

he naps around 1.5 hours to 2.5 depending how tired he gets in the morning
i try to take him out for walks so he can expell his energy...
must try the wake to sleep technique as one mum said.
does any1 feed their Toddler when he wakes up early..like i do at around 5:00 ...he demands milk and if i give him a drink of water, he  screams the place down or wakes up after half hour...
he has all of his teeth except for the sharp ones (incisors) and yes he might be teething also which could cause him discomfort ...i give him a herbal remedy called teetha...its good and helps him a lot.
anyways, lets c what happens and thank u all for Ur advice its much appreciated
cheers,
vibha. :)

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 21:07:24 pm »
Does your lo settle himself to sleep at night independently, or do you stay with him, feed him?

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 21:10:24 pm »
...sorry I mean at bedtime, not when he wakes obviously! My ds has been through something similar, not waking screaming but, generally waking, but it followed a period of accidental parenting where he had increased assistance in going to sleep at bedtime ( we rocked him until he was relaxed). This only took a couple of weeks on and off to really mess him up!

Offline vibha

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 18:30:34 pm »
hello harrisonsmummy,
                                 no he goes to sleep alright....we just feed him his bottle of milk and he babbles and has a little play and sleeps by himself...
its only when he wakes up in the middle of night at 3:15 exact he needs me to come to his room and put him back to bed...also he uses a dummy which is already attached to him ,so there is no reason why i should need to come to find his dummy ???
what i then do is put him down and re-cover him put his dummy back give him a dink of water and walk out....
i am still puzzled..but hopefully will wake him up to sleep when my husband has 4 days leave so i can catch up on my sleep as well and will have extra help. ;)
cheers,
vibha