Author Topic: Pushing back naptime...advice?  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: February 14, 2006, 19:30:00 pm »
It's taking Carmela at least 1.5 hours to fall asleep at nap IF she falls asleep at all.  She is just about 22 months old.  Right now her schedule is:

6:15-6:45 up
12:30 nap
7:15 bedtime

Bedtime is better.  It takes her about 45 minutes to fall asleep. 

I am wondering if I should push her nap to 1:15 to see if she will fall asleep faster.  At this point, if she goes to sleep at 2, she's up at 3:30-4.  Otherwise she doesn't fall asleep at all and I pay for it all night long!

I was wondering if this happened to anyone else and if pushing the nap time back helped.  We did push it back over the week to 1:00 p.m. but she still fought it.  The thing is I do think she's tired when I put her in.  She is rubbing her eyes, though she's not acting cranky yet.....suggestions?

For those of you that had to push back nap time, did you have to push back bedtime also...if so, how far back?  I love our early bedtime
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 19:31:48 pm by Carmela's Mom »

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Re: Pushing back naptime...advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 23:17:21 pm »
Dd goes down anytime between 1:15 and 2:00 or sometimes even 2:30 if we've been out somewhere.  She still fights it on certain days and still skips other days.  I posted in your other post as well.  Sometimes the timing helps, sometimes not.  We also let her nap late, up to 5:30 on bad days and she still goes to bed around 8 or 8:30.  HTH

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 23:29:40 pm »
I hate to say it, but I think it's really an age thing and there is only so much you can do to help her sleep at the time you want her to.  Nathan naptime will shift and change every few months, we just have to roll with the changes and make do and then it all changes again.  It is a transitional time for wanting to cut out that nap but it can take a long time (and she's probably not actually ready to drop it), but it's a natural transition.  I don't think there is any set formula...

Do you get her out doing physical activity in the morning?  THat's pretty much a good way for me to know Nathan will sleep sooner rather than later. The way I look at the mucking around at naptime is that it's extra time for me with the odd getting up and putting him into bed or whatever is required...just to put a positive spin on it. ;)

Lan

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:32:28 am »
Toby's naptime is around 1-1.30 and it's been pretty much  stable at that for around 5 months now. IT used to be earlier when he was younger. Sometimes he does go down a bit later if we've been out, around 2pm. He normally goes to bed around 8 pm.

One thing I did think of, though, is do you tell your daughter when you put her down that it's time for sleep? She might be coonfused as to what you expect from her when you put her in her cot, because sometimes she plays in there for a long time. Also when you go in and shut your eyes she seems to go to sleep quickly. One thing I do with my son is when I put him in his cot  I say 'Time to sleep' so he knows why he's there.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:58:07 am »
Yes I try to make a big deal about going "night night" so she gets it.  She seems to understand because when I do go in there, she lays down and pretends that she's laying down.  I have a feeling that the 12:30 is too early but I am so chicken to change it.  I'm afraid it's going to push back bedtime by too much!!!!!!  This morning she was up at 5:30 a.m. on/off until 6:30 so I don't think today will be the day to test the later nap time...we'll stick to 12:30 for today....

One more question....if your child goes to bed at 8, naps at 1-1:30 ... what time does he wake up?  Carm is up around 6-6:45 on most days.

Lan

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 02:04:06 am »
Toby usually sleeps for 2-2.5 hours, and if he sleeps past 3.30 I get him up before 4 pm. He still goes to bed at 8pm OK even if he wakes up at 4 pm.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:33:15 am »
Yesterday we had a playdate and I didn't get Carmela into her crib until 1:35...she went STRAIGHT to sleep but that could be because the night before she only got 10 hours sleep which is a little less than she's used to ... she usually sleeps 11 at night. 

Last night was the same thing.  She napped from 1:35-3:50 yesterday so I didn't put her in her crib until 7:25 and she fell asleep at 8:10.  She was up at 5:50 this morning.  I'm going to stick with the later nap for a bit and see if I put her in at 7:15, if she falls asleep quicker.  She's showing her tired signs still at 7 p.m. so I think I may have just assumed she wanted to go to sleep later.  I'm going to stick with the regular bedtime and see if it causes a problem.  Otherwise, I don't know what to do about the early wakings.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 11:43:02 am »
Just a little update....well we pushed back Carmela's nap until 1:30.  Here is part of the journal I'm keeping so you can see how it went:

Day 4 – 2/16/06
5:20 a.m. awake
1:35 p.m. in crib & asleep
3:50 p.m. awake
7:25 p.m. in crib
8:10 p.m. asleep
Night: 10h. 10m.
Day: 2h 15m.
Total: 12h 25m

Day 5 – 2/17/06
5:50 a.m. awake
1:20 p.m. in crib
1:30 p.m. asleep
3:00 p.m. awake
7:20 p.m. in crib
8:00 p.m. asleep
Night: 9h. 55m.
Day: 1h. 30m.
Total: 11h 25m

Day 6 – 2/18/06
2:30 a.m. cry out
5:00 a.m. cry out
6:37 a.m. awake
1:35 p.m. asleep in car
2:50 p.m. awake
7:45 asleep in car (8:30 at home in crib)
Night: 10h. 37 m.
Day: 1h. 15m.
Total: 11h 52m

Today she was up at 5:55 a.m.  It seemed to get worst and worst as the days went by....so I am going to play nap by ear for a few days but bedtime is a strict 7:00 p.m.  It's taking her 45 minutes at night to go to sleep on most nights so I figure the earlier I can get her to bed the better for her.  I really hate these wakings before 6:15....she hasn't done them in SO SO SO long and I am praying the earlier bedtime will stop them quickly. 

As for nap time, I don't think 1:30 is going to work just because I have a feeling she may be overtired by then...especially with waking at 5 a.m. 

Any advice with reading this????

• USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 14:36:01 pm »
How old is Carmela again??  And how long has she been doing this?  Just wondering if maybe some molars are on the way...  Dd's phases of early wakings are usually due to teeth though she fights her nap every day, without teething.  Just thought I'd backtrack and make sure it wasn't something simple.

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 16:32:21 pm »
She is 22 months old and it VERY well may be teething.  I've been saying for awhile she's getting her molars.  Ya know I blame EVERYTHING on teething and these past few days I totally didn't think of teething....hmm another monkey wrench...I wonder if the early wakings are based on the later nap/later bedtime or the teeth!!!!!!!!

Lan

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 11:36:04 am »
Based on the average sleep time, it seems like Carmela needs around 12 hours sleep a day. What about a nap about 1 pm for 1.5 hours, then put her down to sleep at 7.30 pm? Then if she sleeps for about 10.5 hours it would take her to 6 am. It might take 2 weeks to get her used to the new schedule though. THe molars might disrupt things though.

Is she in general sleeping better though - no waking up and playing for 2 hours in the middle of the night?

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 17:59:29 pm »
See that's the thing....since I switched her nap to 1:30, she averaged 11.5-12 hours of sleep a day.  When she was on the 12:30 nap, she averaged 12.5-13 hours (on the days that she did nap) and 12 hours on the days she didn't (she made up for it at night).

The problem with a 1:00 nap time is that she won't sleep!!!!!  She will play and play for the entire 2 hours I leave her in the crib.  AT 1:30 she seemed to nap but seemed to be overtired by then.  I put her in at 12:45 today and it doesn't look like a nap is in sight.  And when I put her down at 7:30, she does the same.  She won't go to sleep until way after 8:00 and then seems overtired when she finally does fall asleep.  I don't get it.  I know consistency is key so I'm trying to find a routine that I can be consistent with.

Yes she is waking at night but only for a short time and going back to sleep.  Thank God for that :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 18:09:41 pm by Carmela's Mom »

• USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 20:40:16 pm »
Does Motrin 30 mins before naptime make any difference?  I really think it's just a phase...cause my dd is doing it a lot too.  I figure I can't make her nap, but I can make her stay in there and rest.  Then it's an earlier bedtime.  Hang in there!

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 00:05:08 am »
That's the thing ... she doesn't rest at all...she jumps in her crib and runs back and forth screaming "whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"...for a whole two hours...it's anything but relaxing.

And then we pay for it all night and the next morning too.....yuck!!!!!!!!

• USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 00:16:17 am »
Maybe I should have said "alone time"?   :)  Dd doesm't usually relax either unless we go back in at 30-45 mins and say "get in your bed and go night night."  Hang in there.  I'm running out of suggestions. but this too shall pass...