Author Topic: advice on reintroducing solids?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Vic

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:24:57 am »
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has got any advice on this, as I'm beginning not to trust my pediatrician!
I started my baby on solids at just over 5 months, (a couple of weeks ago), after she showed all the signs of needing them (seemed to be going through a massive growth spurt and wasn't satisfied by bf). My pediatrician had told me to start giving her apple and pear at 4 1/2 mnths, but I thought it was too early. Well, it seems my intuitions were right - after a week successfully taking solids, she started to develop tummy problems (gas, tummy ache, constipation, looking a bit off in general). Again, contrary to advice of pediatrician (!) I stopped giving her solids. After 3 days she seems a lot better, tho her appetite is still a bit low as I think her tummy is feeling sensitive. What I would like to know now is, when should I try to reintroduce solids again? Has anyone got any advice on this in general?
many thanks!
vic :)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: advice on reintroducing solids?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:20:42 am »
Hi,
I had troubles with apples and pears with my lo.  Tummy aches, gassy, and funny poo.  I just started giving them to him again now at 7 months.
I had to start and restart veg 3 times.  This time when I had restarted I just keep going with them, I knew he wasn't having an allergy to them but tummy and poo seemed off, after 5 days he was fine.  The poo changes drastically after starting solids.  Some days hard and formed some days almost like diarrhea(i never thought I would pay so close attention to poo b4)
I had to start my lo on fruit and cereal at 3.5months due to constipation, then I had waited till 5.5months to start veg.  Not a fan of veg. IMHO, try to start veg first cause I know have to mix his veg and his meat with fruit in order for him to take them.
Also maybe try not to give apples and pears for a while, if lo has already had tummy upsets from them.  I tried Bananas and apple sauce mixed b4 giving plain apple sauce to lo.
hth :)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: advice on reintroducing solids?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:07:46 am »
I think you should wait at least another couple of weeks to make sure her eating and tummy has completely returned to normal.  Then I would start with rice cereal only.  It is very bland, and easy to digest.  After 3 days of trying the cereal and if it is successful, then try mixed with a fruit or veggie.  Carrots are easy to digest and not likely to cause gas and they are somewhat sweet.  Same with bananas.  Though bananas and rice cereal together might cause a bit of consipation, so be on the lookout.  My DD hated rice cereal though, and I ended up switching to oatmeal, which is fine too if your LO doesn't like the rice cereal.  Good luck and eventually she will adjust to eating foods.  Maybe she had a virus as well, that was aggravated by the introduction of solids.

Offline Vic

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 10:50:14 am »
 thanks so much for this! I had thought that apples and pears were posing a problem. I've avoided giving solids for a few days, and am now giving about 50g of very runny tapioca mixed in ebm once or twice a day. She seems a lot better. I'm avoiding rice cereal as I'm told by the pediatrician that it often causes constipation - and actually, I did introduce a little banana with it on the day that she seemed to start having problems. Good tip about the carrot, will definitely try that!
 :) vic