Author Topic: Please Help! 10 month old still waking –Been doing PUPD for nearly 2 months now.  (Read 1304 times)

Offline es

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
After having read 2 of Tracy's Books I really can't understand what I'm doing wrong.

My 10 month old son is still waking several times a night.

My schedule is:
5:30 He usually wakes and I try PUPD which doesn't work. So, I end up bringing him to our bed so I can get a few more hours sleep.
7:30 Wake
8:00 Solids
10-10:30 8oz bottle
10-10:30 45 minute nap
12:15 Solids
2:00 8 oz bottle
2:30 - 3:30 1 hour nap
4:30 Snack Either 8oz bottle or solids
6-6:30 Solid
8:00 8oz bottle
8:15 Sleep
10:15 Wakes and I put back to sleep quickly by rubbing his belly
1-2 Wakes - Sometimes can be put down with rubbing his belly, but most times cannot. I do PUPD, rub his belly, end up rocking him for close to 1.5 hours.

I do have a bedtime routine. I read several books, rock him for 5-10 minutes, hold him still for another 1-4 minutes and then put him in his crib. I think the problem may be that he's fairly drowsy when I put him in his crib. Today, I tried putting him in his crib awake at naptime and he was bouncing around for a good 30 minutes before he started crying. I then went in did PUPD a few times and was able to put him to sleep.
When I've tried this in the middle of the night, it doesn't seem to work. He gets hysterical.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated! I really don't know what else to do. My back is killing me from hanging over the side of his crib.

Elizabeth

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Sounds like he is too drowsy & so needs help to go to sleep when he wakes up.

Also I don't know much about Pu/pd, but unless you use it all the time & see it through to completion (be that over 100 pd) it isn't going to work as an occasional thing

Also his day sleeps are vry short & so is his night, I think overtiredness may also be a part of it. at 10months you would expect about 2.5 hours of day sleep & 11-11.5 at night, but with the wakings he is in bed that amount, but getting far less. I would try a bedtime around 7.30 & try to get the naps out to 1 & 1.5 hours

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline riab

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I think he is getting overtired - my lo is getting ther with cracking his night wakings problem and any days that he slept less than 2 hrs of naps he was worse at night. Also I know its relaly hard and I admit I've done it too but taking him into your bed at 5am doesn't help things. How about makign up a bed on the nursrey floor? I do that now and if he's getting really distressed or i am honestly too tired to cope with a 4th night waking then I nap in there either with him in hsi cot or beside me.

Our routine is;
7/7.30am get up milk
8am breakfast - he's fussy at breakfast often so its a mixture of cheerios yogurt and my toast! while i eat breakfast too and chat to him.
8.30am more milk to wash down breakfast
9-10am nap
walk outside if at all possible plsu a crawling/active session
11.30 solids, usually a meat or fish type stew, yogurt for pudding
12pm bath
12.15 milk
12.30-2.30 nap
3pm water/juice and possibly a rice cake if fussed at lunchtimeanother walk outside and active session
4.30pm solids usually carb based so pasta or potato
5.30pm bath
6pm nursery, story etc
6.15pm milk
6.30pm bed

if he wakes during the night the first waking I always offer milk as his appetite is erratic! After that i offer water and check his nappy. I find that the best way to get him back to sleep is minimal movement, just standing by the cot wth my hand on his tummy/legs. I dont' even pat or rub most of the time as he gets too worked up, just a firm touch. I only take him out of the cot if he is getting really upset and crying.

rocking stopped workign for us when he was 4 months old - and now it just seems to wake him up more! I think by staying very iitll and quiet - i only ever say Shhhhhhhh in a long drawn out breath helps him relaise its time to close his eyes and go to sleep.

re early waking - do you have blackout lined curtains? even at this time of year streetlights etc can be annoyingly bright.

Offline es

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I think I may have found something that is working!

Instead of staying in his room until he is asleep, I leave while he is still up. Most of the time he's actually standing in his crib, but not crying. I leave the room and he starts a whining/cry. He then fall asleep within 10 minutes, usually 5. Since I started doing this before his bedtime and naptime, he has been sleeping for an 8-9 hours. He'll usually wake one or two times during the night, but puts himself back to sleep within a few minutes. I was really hesitant to leave the room while he was still awake, but other than a bit of whining, he's putting himself to sleep. I think because he is a "spirited" baby, I was too much stimulation. This has been working for several days now, so something is right.