Author Topic: Acitivities for 9-12 months  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Alibobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 91
Acitivities for 9-12 months
« on: February 16, 2006, 11:43:18 am »
I've just read the above thread and was looking at the posting shapes activities. My dd is 10 1/2 months but is nowhere near doing this and shows no interest in doing it. She can put smaller things into pots etc, but is nowhere near the stage of putting different shapes into fitted holes! In fact, I put things in, and she pulls things out! Should I be worried, or am I panicking? I do do those things while she watches and I talk about what I am doing so she'll catch on eventually I'm sure.
Alison, mum to

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Acitivities for 9-12 months
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 18:39:35 pm »
Please don't panic!  :) It is more an introductory thing you start with.  Babies really learn through feeling and mouthing shapes and just observe you putting the shapes in the holes etc.  I will edit the post actually to explain that, sorry.  My ds was probably 16mths when he could completely independently do it - but I remember he was about 13mths and could sometimes get them in, but was also quite frustrated and needed my help still.

My dd is 10.5mths and she's showing interest in what I do with the shapes, and will randomly whack them around, but not even close to getting them in.

HTH

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 07:41:40 am »
i agree!  there is a number of things that babies learn to do on the way to sorting shapes!  it never hurts to show babies more complicated things as they often find it fasinating.  what you will notice though is that your baby will start playing with things in new ways... babies around this age are becoming more precise at picking things up AND dropping them where they want them.  because of that, they are interested in putting things in and out. 
(my ds opened up daddy's drawer on a small filing cabinet and put his toy phone in amongst his dad's files- he looked like he wanted to do some filing, luckily he didn't pull anything out!!)
start with big containers to put things in (or maybe just take things out of!!), change the containers often and work your way down to more complicated things. 
its sounds like your lo is on the right track and has some good hand skills to manage these kinds of activities, HTH!

Offline Alibobs

• Showing Appreciation 91
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 08:11:47 am »
Thank you- I thought I was probably beong silly! Yes dd likes to put things in and on things. In fact she keeps putting things back into her toy box-I'm sure that won't last. ;) Thanks for your replies. I don't have anyone else to compare her to so I guess its hard to know what she should be doing.

Thanks again
Alison, mum to