Author Topic: 2 am feeding - habit or need?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
2 am feeding - habit or need?
« on: February 16, 2006, 16:31:54 pm »
How do I tell if my lo is waking at 2am out of habit or actual need to eat?  She feeds at 6pm (3-4oz), 9pm (2-3oz) and 11pm (3-4oz).  She used to take 2-3oz at 2am, and still wakes up screaming and with hunger signs.  However, when on the boob she bobs on/off, falls asleep, and squirms. With the bottle, she hardly takes 1 oz and then falls asleep.  My gut tells me she doesn't seem to need to eat, but how do I make sure?  How do I get her to sleep through a bit longer or get her back to sleep without feeding her a bit?

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 2 am feeding - habit or need?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 19:30:28 pm »
Sorry, meant to include that info! She's 6 weeks today.

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 22:20:52 pm »
EASy is as follows, give or take a half hour here and there...

E - 8 am
A - until 9 or 9:30
S - until 11
E - 11 am
A - until 12 pm
S - until 1:30 or 2 pm
E - 1: 30 or 2 pm
A - until 3 pm
S - until 4: 30 or 5 pm
E - 4:30 or 5 pm
A - until 5:30 pm
S - until 8 or 9 pm
E - 8 or 9 pm
S - 9 or 9:30 pm
E - 11 pm (df - husband feeds before he goes to bed)
S - until 2
E - 2 am
S - until 5
E - 5 am

She's 6 weeks, so might be going through a growth spurt right now, as sometimes she'll be hungry in 2.5 hrs instead of 3.  I admit we don't really have a set bedtime routine, just put her in her crib at around 5:30 ish after some cuddle/quiet time.  Any other suggestions?

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 00:21:25 am »
I also find your routine a little confusing. Though I understand at 6 weeks its hard to try and balance it and find what works.
On your question about your LO waking, at 6 weeks Its because of hunger. At that age and  size they aren't ready to go to long without food. After 8-12 weeks when you have a more stable routine you can start trying pat/shush or PU/PD.
I believe your day is starting at 8 am. Thats a good start time, if I may I'll write up a basic routine you might try that will help your LO get the sleep, activity, and food needed into the day.

8am up start the day feed.
8:30am activity
9am sleep
11am feed
11:30am Activity
12pm sleep
2pm feed
2:30 activity
3pm sleep
5pm feed
5:30pm activity
6pm Bath (could be moved earlier depending on your LO) and bedtime routine
6:30pm feed
7pm Bed for the night
10:30-11pm dreamfeed
Then feed when ever your LO wakes in the night. Although with this routine night feeds will decreas untill you have non.

This is the routine I started my LO on at 6 weeks and while it took a few days to really settle out it was worth the work. Your on the right track :)
Adjust this routine to fit your life and your LO and you'll be well on your way to a baby who sleeps through the night.

Any questions please ask away :)
Kimberly

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 00:32:03 am »
Karita, thanks for posting a suggested easy sched. I admit I myself am sometimes confused. My lo is at times very hard to soothe and won't sleep between feeds or will fall asleep 20 minutes before she's due to eat, and then I sometimes let her sleep a bit longer, as opposed to 'staying on schedule'. Part of me is struggling with the 'don't wake a sleeping baby'.  It looks like part of my day is on the right track and I should work on the evening routine.  That's her fussy time, so that makes it even harder to stick to something firmly.  As for separating day and night, I believe she does know the difference, as after eating at night (9, 11, 2 and 5) she goes right back so sleep (we keep it low key and dark). She never has her fussy awake periods at night like she does during the day.  So tonight, she ate at 4:30 and again at 7, so we'll try your suggestions.  Again, thanks for the advice.

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 00:37:06 am »
I also should mention that I struggle with A time - what to do exactly with a 6 week old.  And when she wakes a half hour before she's due to eat do I try to stretch the time until feeding time or feed her right away (which could skew the rest of the day's schedule)?

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:54:27 am »
I hope that this routine works for you :)
I completely understand your frustration and confusion, my LO was exactly like yours at 6 weeks I thought she'd never stop waking at night. Hold out a little longer :) 6 weeks is the turning point for most LO's thats when they reach the most crying time. It to shall pass (you have no idea how many nights I said that to myself)

because of her being fussier at night thats where your main focus should be.
When your LO is doing A time it really depends on your child and their temperment. With my LO (spirited at the time) A time at 6 weeks was low key, songs, or under a play gym, tummy time, or even just sitting with Mommy or daddy. Try to remember its a routine not a schedual. Follow your LO's lead a bit they'll show you what they need. If they wake us half an hour early and are hungry feed them and start your next cycle based on that wake up time. At first you'll find that you may have some 3 hour cycles and some 4 hours ones, but eventually your LO will settle out and become more routine. If your having trouble getting her to sleep and she's been up and there's half an hour before her next feed don't be afread to feed her it may actually be exactly what she needs. You seem to have your morning sorted out well. Maybe try nap time 10-15 minutes earlier around noon and see if she just needs an earlier nap. If she's sleeping instead of A time thats ok, she's still pretty young.

As I said your on the right track. Remember babies don't run by the clock :) just make sure you follow the same routine, the more you watch the clock the harder it will be. Relax and follow her lead :)
Kimberly

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 03:00:42 am »
hi all!

Ok just a suggestion... what i did with my LO, was i gave him a paci, if that calmed him down then.. its not hunger, if it didn't calm him it was definetly hunger, i guess you could just try it. Good luck!!!

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 14:50:55 pm »
Thanks to all for your replies - always very helpful with lots of insight.  Last night went very well.  I think for now I can be quite sure it's still hunger waking her at 2, as she emptied both breasts (low supply issues) and 2 oz, both at 2:30 and 5:30. Again went right back to sleep.  Sometimes it's easy to expect too much of our little ones and put too much focus on what 'should' be.  I think she's a spririted child as well.  I have tried the paci and she usually rejects it at those times. So thanks again to all. :)

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 05:13:23 am »
I'm glade to hear you say things are better :) Please keep us informed and feel free to ask any questions you have
Kimberly