Author Topic: tomato sensitivity/diaper rash?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
tomato sensitivity/diaper rash?
« on: February 21, 2006, 17:58:46 pm »
My 12 mo had tomato sauce for the first time the other night and got a diaper rash after one of his poopy diapers the next afternoon.  It was immediate.  His butt was clear, then 5 minutes after pooping, as I went to change him, his bottom was raging red.  He poops several times a day and the first two were normal.  This one also had the peas in it (from dinner), so I assume the tomato sauce.  The calendula gel cleared it up rather quickly...until the next poopy diaper.  Same results.

Am I correct in assuming this is a tomato intolerance?  The diaper rash doesn't appear on its own, but in response to the stool?  He didn't really seem to exhibit other problems.  My DH pointed out that this wouldn't be an issue if he was potty trained already because the stool wouldn't touch his bottom.  So does that mean he can eat them after he's PT'd??  Would he outgrow it and should I try again in a couple months?

Ironically, and I don't know if this is related or not, he has reflux.  Pineapples don't sit well with him and I can only give him citrus later in the day.  When he BF's in the mornings, I have to give him some cheerios immediately after to keep it down.  When he had the sauce, he did great and it didn't seem to effect his reflux at all.

TIA
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: tomato sensitivity/diaper rash?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 18:02:23 pm »
The acidity of the tomatoes might have done it.  Ditto for the pineapple.  Both can also irritate the 'flux.  Any other symptoms, or just the tush?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 18:40:44 pm »
Just the bottom.  Strangely, pineapple didn't give him a rash and tomatoes didn't irritate his reflux!

If it's the acidity, why doesn't his face/hands react if he has it smeared all over?  That's so weird.
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 00:21:34 am »
Ok, next thought,  something in the "by-product" irritated his skin.  Either way, I think I would check with the doc and wait awhile before more tomatoes.    :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.