Author Topic: Feeling guilty about weaning  (Read 1124 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Feeling guilty about weaning
« on: February 17, 2006, 05:22:30 am »
I'm finally down to 1 nursing session a day, at bedtime, but ds has not been a happy camper about being weaned.  Just this week I stopped nursing him in the early mornings.  It was hard for me because I could just 'pop him on' for 10-15 min and he was able to sleep for another couple of hours, no fussing and no tears.  Now when he wakes up for some food he's hoping to be nursed but gets cold milk through a straw instead.  I think he may be eating less this week because he misses nursing.

I would love to continue offering this to him but I know it's time to wean.  I'm almost 6 months pregnant and simply do NOT want to tandem nurse once the other one is born, which I know would happen if I kept going.  Sure, he may have weaned himself on his own after a few days or weeks but, considering the fact that he does it mostly for comfort now, he could have kept going for a little while.  I figured having 3-4 months during which time ds can get used to not nursing (before the baby is born) will help him when he sees another baby taking over 'his turf'.  *lol*  (he had gotten to the point where he was pulling my shirt and gesturing towards my chest when he wanted to nurse!!  :D)

Anyway, just 'confessing' that I feel a bit guilty about taking away his comfort.   :(   :-[  On the plus side, I made it to 1 year of nursing him (even though it is now just once a day), which is what I wanted to do.  I love the fact that he enjoys nursing but I know that my hugs, kisses, caresses and paying so much attention to him are more than enough.

Does anyone have weaning stories to share?  (they really are a comfort!)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Minimonkey

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • I can't believe he's one already....
Re: Feeling guilty about weaning
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 15:32:25 pm »
Hi Georgia,

My son started 'rejecting' me during the day about a month ago.  I decided that I would go ahead and wean him from his daytime BF sessions, since I would be going back to work soon.  I too feel guilty about it, especially since I can tell he just doesn't drink as much from a sippy!  I am still BF in early morning and he sleeps for another 1-1.5hrs, and a nurse in the evening b4 he goes to bed.  I am really scared about taking away those nursing sessions since after taking away the daytime ones, he really doesn't go for naps the same as before - ie. it's a fight!  His nightime sleeps are so good right now, i think due to BF before bed and early morning.

Feeling guilty, but have to go back to work.

Any suggestions on weaning from the other two feeds - not going to do it yet though - too many changes in his life right now!

shari

Offline debandbrian

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Feeling guilty about weaning
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 20:06:42 pm »
I would say I am feeling sad more than guilty - well, I guess a little guilty. We dropped one of two daytime feeds 2 weeks ago, and he didn't seem to miss it at all. I though to myself that this wasn't going to be so hard after all, as I have a boob addicted little guy. Dropped the second one a week ago, though, and he's been a real crank in the afternoon - I know he just wants to cozy up and have a little snooze to cap off his afternoon nap. When he realizes we're headed towards the sippy cup instead of my bed (where I nurse), he gets pretty upset. On top of that my periods started back up again yesterday...so it's been quite emotional for us both. Still doing the wakeup and night time feed - but I am going back to work soon and I don't think we'll even be able to get ds and dh and myself ready and out the door by 7 am (we're both teachers) with the bf....plus I'm feeling like the milk is dwindling away and those who have stepped foot in a school lately know that there is no time or place for pumping. I could use the support while we get through the end of it..... he's underweight too, so I'm a nervous wreck that he isn't getting the nutrition he needs. Breastfeeding is certainly wonderful but this one of the parts they don't tell you about!  :'(

Deborah