Author Topic: 7month ols still waking though night  (Read 1634 times)

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
7month ols still waking though night
« on: February 17, 2006, 05:30:15 am »
Hi,
My DS is still waking though the night.....ds goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 with a reg. routine.
I usually give him a dreamfeed at 11pm, but lo started waking at 10:15pm to eat but wasn't eating a full bottle so I have tried to stop it.  I now wait to give it to him when he wakes which is anywhere between 10:15pm and 3am.  If it is b4 midnight then he gets up again at 3am and at 6am, and if it is after midnight he gets up at 5am and sleeps till 8am.  Ihn these night feeding he never takes a full feeding of 6oz, usually only 3oz.
He goes down for his nap and bedtime awake in his crib and goes to sleep on his own.  Most morning(if waking at 8am he will wake and talk to himselve.  But in the night he cries.
I wasn't strong enough to do pu/pd as I didn't have suport.  so any other suggestions I help my baby get back to sllep without a bottle??
Maybe its just to easy to put a bottle in his mouth and then I can get back to sleep as well.
Any advice would be wonderful.
tia
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 7month ols still waking though night
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 16:38:21 pm »
i had the same problem with my lo until about 7 and a half months...feels like a lifetime though i can relate there.  i think with my lo it was a combination of tweaking her daytime routine so she didn't get as much sleep (although i thought she needed it she really didn't and is sleeping at night) and extended A times - slowly of course.  She was never a big eater - or so i thought!!!  she was getting all of her calories at night so wouldn't eat well all day, was a vicious cycle to break but by reducing minutes bfing at night when she woke (she woke every 4hrs or so for a feeding) finally got it down to two minutes and she just stopped waking for feedings and is a GREAT nurser now!  the other thing i could think of is maybe gas??  i know still, depending on what i feed her i may have an occasional evening with a few wake ups b/c something isn't sitting well in her tummy.  also, is lo overtired when u him down?  that can either give u early evening wake ups for the first couple hours or early morning wake ups.  if u are going to try cutting back on naps u may want to keep in mind that morning naps affect wake up time..so maybe just an hour for the morning nap and longer for the afternoon nap, if he can re-energize himself in the morning with a long sleep - why does he need to sleep in later than 3 or 4 am?  anyway, that's all i can think of right now - hope i helped some.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 03:03:58 am »
Hi,
How can I resuce his Daytime napping?
He seems to be soooo tired after 2hours to the minute after he wakes??  If we don't get him down it is a hugh cry fest.  I believe he should be able to stay up longer but don't know how to get him to do this.  The only way I can get him to stay up longer is if we go out of the house, he will stay up as long as we are gone, but then will not eat very well, and is miserable in the evening.
Confusing little things they are ::)

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 04:03:41 am »
just try to keep him up a little longer every few days...10 or 15 min for a day or two...then another 10 min for a few more days...if it is that bad try to do it 5 min so it is not so traumatizing to the little guy.  how long does he nap during the day?
i see my lo is about a month older and at this point now she is up usually for about 3 hrs and sleeping for about an hr in the am and hr to an hr and a half in the pm - dropped the catnap now - although that was a long work in progress to get us here.  i think that A time should be at least 2 and a half hrs or so now - give or take some time but that would be my goal if i were u.  although i can't REALLY say - every baby IS different.  i hope i have helped at least a little - if anything else PLS let me know!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 15:34:02 pm »
Hi,
He naps about 1h to 1.5 hours each, doesn't usually have any cat naps unless we are in the car.
 The Df I had tried at 10 but just lead to earlier wakings(1:30am) and the others just kept going.  Also wanted to get rid of them as he is 7 months.
Last night he woke at 11:00pm took a full bottle and wouldn't go back to sleep till 12:30am and up again at 3:15am, tiered to calm and wouldn't so gave a bottle and he took another full feeding and back to sleep till 8am.  Now he won't take a bottle this morning??
But he is cutting teeth right now, so he won't eat very well yesterday.
I understand that teething is contributing to all of this(well last night) but its not just teething becasue he has always been like this.
I would be fine if he was only getting up once but twice I know is way to much for him being 7 months old :(
Thank you for your advice, I will try to extend he activity time today just a bit.  How long should he be up(onaverage for a baby) between naps at this age?
TIA

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 18:30:27 pm »
i'd say about 2 and half hrs would be good for A time.  if he wouldn't take a bottle this morning i'd say maybe it's partially to do with teething - but most likely it's b/c he is getting alot of calories in during the night feeds...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 04:43:05 am »
My DD is up 2.5 hrs before her AM sleep and 3 hrs before her PM sleep and then 3 hrs until her bedtime. How many bottles is he having and what amounts are in each bottle? How many day time sleeps is he getting, you said they are about 1-1.5hrs long which is great? I think also having a set morning wake up time and night time sleep time is very important.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 07:24:50 am »
Usually lo has 4 bottles of 5-6oz plus his df at 11pm and another during the night. 
I have tried to up the amount in the day he takes but can't.
We have a ped. appointment on tuesday as, ds has always spit up continually and chokes and gags on all bottles. 
He also eat 3 meals a day, so i don't think he is hungrey and has good weight gain, hes 19lbs sooo........
He did wake at tonight at 11pm and only took 2ozs and back to sleep.  I just don't know what else to do to calm him back to sleep when he wakes-I've tried singing-just cries harder(not to good at the singing) same as with talking softly, rocking he fights me, walking just really wakes him up.  Patting bum, doesn't seem to help and he won't take a paci.  He has a lovely, but it only helps at naps and right before bed.  Hes a spirted baby, and wants what he wants and that is about it.  I just don't know what else to do.  We have regular bedtime routine that we follow, and our day goes the same pretty much everyday.  It just seems in the past couple months, where we could have got all this under control there has been so much-teething, went away for xmas, and then away again for a funeral, and now teething and a cold again and then in one month we are moving provinces.  so much, I am wondering if I should just let him do his thing but then again I know it can become a bigger problem as he gets older.  well hes up again, gotta go

Offline teezee

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 16:28:21 pm »
stacy that is an EXCELLENT sticky - good suggestion!! for an alternative to pu/pd anyway.  i actually started doing that with dd's paci as she was waking for me to put it back in her mouth at times.  she now either keeps it in her mouth or doesn't need it at all throughout the night except when she first falls asleep.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 17:23:46 pm »
Hi,
I actually printed that out yesterday have read a bit of it, i am gonna finish reading it today.
I think I will try that first.  I had trie dthe PU/PD when ds was 5 months but turned me into a basket case.  I wish I was strong enough to have kept it up but....
Thank you for taking an interest in re reading my posts, and helping me out.  Sometimes I geuss I need it put right in my face.
So while lo is getting ove his cold, I will try to put togethr a plan and get on to getting this bottle habbit oput of the way.  I was hoping he would just grow out of it as my mother said we all did and some other family member have told me about there babies, but every baby is different.
Again, Thank you :-*
I will let ya know how things go