Author Topic: Encouraging larger intake  (Read 1490 times)

Offline clare076

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 17, 2006, 08:43:00 am »
Is there a way to encourage my baby to take more milk during the day? She is 9 weeks old and a healthy 5.6 kg but she still is only taking 3.5oz each feed (3-4hrly) Her EBM/formula is thickened slightly due to reflux but I still give it in a medium flow teat as she drinks the feed in less than 10mins.
I offer her a bottle of 5-6oz at each feed just in case she surprises me and drinks more. (never happens)

She is sleeping well at night, usually from 8pm to 6am with only one feed (usually around 80ml) at 1 or 2 am

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Re: Encouraging larger intake
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 14:56:19 pm »
Clare

It sounds to me like she's getting all she needs. Going through with only one night feed is good going for 9 weeks. As long as she's gaining weight and is generally well and happy then try not to worry too much about how much she's taking (some babies just have smaller appetites).

Sounds like you're doing a great job.

love

Marie

Offline AmyT

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 21:56:19 pm »
My DD has been on 4oz every 3-4 hours from 5 weeks until 12 weeks old and she is a very active 13.5lb baby, she sleeps well and can go for four hours in between feeds, and 8 hours at night, her small appetite hasn't affected her at all. Like us adults some babies are very hungry, others can take it or leave it some times. As long as it isnt effecting her sleep or her weight gain there is no need to worry.

Having said that ive started using fast flow this week and she now takes 6oz, But she is 13 weeks old and was getting very bored at feeding times as it took too long and too much effort, perhaps when your LO is a bit older you might change to a faster flow teat to see if it helps.
Amy T, mother of layla

Offline llambden

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 17:19:27 pm »
When should you change their nipples.  My boy is on slow and he is 4 mths old and I am try to increase his milk intake.
LORI

Offline AmyT

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 18:02:05 pm »
You should definitely change the nipples if he is 4 months and on slow. Slow nipples generally are for new borns and for expressed breast milk as it thinner. I put my LO on formula at 4 weeks and started then with medium nipples, when she got to about 12 weeks she started getting bored at the bottle, acting as if she wa full, turning her head away etc and was only drinking 3oz, so I tried a fast flow nipple. the first time she used it she coughed and spluttered quite a bit but drank 7oz, and since then she is completely used to them and will drink nealry 8oz in 15 minutes.
Amy T, mother of layla

Offline rileyand wyatt

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • having so much fun!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 00:14:11 am »
sorry to  just pop in like this but my baby is 10 week old and takes 1/2 hour to eat 4 to 5 oz and won't take anymore.. I have tried the med nipples and she spits up so much. do i just have to stick with it and try the medium flow and hope she will get use to it.. will it cause more of belly issue for her..

i think tomorrow i am going to try the medium flow and stick with it..

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 10:19:21 am »
rileyand wyatt - I have found that different bottle makes, along with their associated nipple speeds vary from manufacturers. i.e I have used medium Chicco bottles and teats and they are the equivalent (I think) of my local chemists fast flow.

I may be worth experimenting by putting another smaller hole into the slow teat as a happy medium until she can cope with he medium one your trying.

HTH

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline llambden

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 01:34:24 am »
I just started today with fast nipples and my boy (4.5mths) is doing really good.  Thanks for everyone's help.
LORI