Author Topic: Hind milk getting to bottle when pumped  (Read 1213 times)

Offline vicki3

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Australia - Northern NSW.
Hind milk getting to bottle when pumped
« on: February 17, 2006, 09:46:50 am »
HI all, I am 35 weeks pregnant and would really like to express one feed a day for my husband to share in the feeding but i am interested to know approx. how much do you pump for a newborn on average weight and in this amount does it reach the desert part of the milk and not just the first couple of stages which is more watery and not as filling which therefore will not carry her over to the 3hour mark. Thanks. Vicki.
my DS 7yrs old,

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
Re: Hind milk getting to bottle when pumped
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 11:54:27 am »
Viki,

I would suggest you post your questions in the breastfeeing forum as well, I used to pump and at that age i really can't remember how long to pump, usually your emptying the breast to get to the hind milk, you will know when your almost emply by the flow and also often the colour, the milk even looks richer........careful not to pump too much too soon~!  Being engoged is aweful!!!!! I am an expert at being engorged as I had enough milk for 3 babies I think.........good luck to you

Logan's Mom

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Hind milk getting to bottle when pumped
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 16:28:34 pm »
i know u want dh to have a part in feeding lo but u may want to hold off just a couple weeks at least before messing around with your supply.  as it will probably be messed up for a little while to begin with.  without pumping to up my supply i was totally engorged and sore and dd had a horrible time latching cuz my boobs were so big and hard.  i ended up having to pump to soften them a bit and took about 3 weeks for my supply to establish properly.  until your supply is established u may want to hold off as u do not want to go through engorgement and oversupply...just my two cents.  good luck!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005