Author Topic: some pointers please....  (Read 1623 times)

Offline bunnyfuller

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
some pointers please....
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:50:52 pm »
 :)

Hi everyone,

I am a happy BW Mummy to Alice, almost 13m.  However, I was late onto the boat and so have no idea of how to kick things off with a newborn (expecting dd #2 on 25 Mar)

Being older and wiser I am anxious not to repeat previus mistakes but to BW from the get go...

However, thinking back with Alice I am a little stuck.

From what I remember Alice ate and slept for 3w, that was it  DH and I actually commented the first time she stayed awake for 10 mins after feeding.  Alice was low birthweight due to pre eclampsia, so maybe this was it.

But my basic problem is the activity tihng - I know changing a nappy counts as acty for one so young, but thats only a few mins.....does acty time just naturally increase as time goes on?  Is majority of the 3-hr schedule sleep in the beginning?  or do you start on a 2-hr?

Help!!!!

Nic xxx

Offline bunnyfuller

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: some pointers please....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 21:55:19 pm »
bump...........
please, someone..........

14 views and no replies???

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 22:03:49 pm »
sweetie sorry i just read your post, and i'm writing as fast as i can so you can see there is a reply ;)

Ok, what you are saying is totally the way it went for my LO, he was only awake for a few minutes after eating, and his awake time has been gradually upping more, for example he can now stay awake usually (without any grumpyness) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and now he's eating every 4 hours, and sleeping through the night too (i give him a DF at 11pm, but he's asleep)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 22:05:57 pm »
Hello,

Hope I can help. Congratulations in your beautiful dd, and your pregnancy, hope it's a smooth and uneventful one :)

I didn't get my ds on a routine for a good while after he was born, I just concentrated on the order of doing things - ie E, then A, then back to S. At the very beginning, the A just consisted of the E, nappy change, then back to S. This does slowly increase as they get older.

Don't focus on the timings of things (eg 2hour EASY / 3hour EASY), just follow your lo's cues for the first month or so, then think about sorting out a routine for him/her.

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 22:09:35 pm »
I agree with the previous posts.  As a newborn, the A time is the eating and diaper change, and that's about all they can tolerate.  Getting A time and setting your routine come after the first month or two.  There's not much you can do to keep a newborn awake, their bodies need the rest to grow and develop.  Congrats and good luck.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Janet

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 00:31:18 am »
I'm in the same boat as you. DD 1 is nearly 4 and we were very late to jump on board w/BW. Our first year was just plain awful. Now that DD 2 is here (11 days old), arrived 2.5 wks early and very tiny, I too am wondering about how to start this whole thing. This evening she started the whole crying jag thing, wanting to eat constantly for about 3 hrs....nursed me dry.... and I'm terrified of starting that whole ordeal again. So I too would like to get some input on how early to start this routine, what constitutes activity and how in the world do you keep a newborn awake after eating?!   ??? ??? ???

Janet

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 00:44:46 am »
Well you have to follow your LO , at first i didn't do a schedule per se, i only tried to keep to the order of things, ex: i never left him eat to sleep, and to wake him if he got asleep during a feeding i would change his diaper, and that's pretty much it. when he was that little i never woke him during naps, he woke up alone from hunger, so i fed him then diaper, the a song maybe then sleep again, and so on and so forth. I began the schedule when he himself wanted to eat every 3 hours, so i think if you stay with the order EASY, you'll get through it!!!
Those are though times but you can do it!!!

Offline bunnyfuller

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 13:17:42 pm »
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It's good to know what's in my head is actually the way to go....

My pregnancy with Alice wasn't EASY lol in any way - starting with IVF, loss of a twin midway, then last 6w in hossy with pre ec...

At no time did I feel either well enough or secure enough to 'plan' anything - DH did the nursery in an afternoon in between visisting me in hospital...

But this pg is soooooooooo different and I feel a little more ocnfident of everything (not least hopefully a bigger, less high maintenance baby!)

So I will just follow new baby and let her stay awake as long as she wants after feeds....thank you so much...

I am off to sleep forum now for a bit of help with Alice!!! lol

Nic xxxxxxx