Author Topic: Arrowroot?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline StephC

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Arrowroot?
« on: February 17, 2006, 17:45:15 pm »
Hi, My LO is almost 5 months and has been on solids since she was 4 months old.  We have gone through all of the stage 1 veggies and some of the stage 1 fruits but I am just wondering when it is OK to give her a cookie to try?

Thanks,

Steph

Offline Adoptivemom

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Arrowroot?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 18:37:52 pm »
We started our daughter on Arrowroots at about 9 months. I was really cautious about what foods I started her on - first with the cereals (rice, oat) then I went to veg (carrots, peas, squash) and then a few meats (chicken and pork tenderloin) and then fruit (apple sauce, bananas, pear sauce). I started all this around 5.5 months. I didn't want her to develop a taste for the sweet stuff right away. I wanted her to like and get used to the "good for her stuff"! She did really well with all of this and did well with the cookies too - nice and messy at first! I was told that babies don't really have taste buds at first and they develop them with the foods you add. SO I thought why develop towards the sweeter things. They don't know the difference!! I'll do the same when my son gets to that age.

Hope this helps

Lindsay

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 19:22:59 pm »
ya thats a good point! She is loving her vegetables and the few fruits that we have tried.  I think I will wait till at least 6 months when they can start safely trying a better variety of things. In a few weeks she will be able to have more variety in her veggies etc. so I'll get her used to eating the good stuff first!

Thanks,
Steph

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 21:26:29 pm »
i gave dd baby mum mums or some other cookies (can't remember the name of them now) without as much sugar when i first started giving her cookies..she was over 6months but under 7 months.  she is just over 8 months now and i have given her arrowroot and she squeals when she sees it in my hand!  she gets them a couple times a week - as i want it to remain a 'treat' and not something she gets all the time!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline meliss

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 00:37:52 am »
my ds had his first arrowroot this last week (he is 9mo). We started with puffed wheat, nutrios (baby cheerios) first. when he was about 5-6mo. we would break the cheerios in half when we first started.

arrowroots are pretty hard... My ds has 7 teeth and is able to bite a pretty big piece...and Must be constantly watched. 

I would start with something that mushes a bit faster. But it's up to you.

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:02:09 am »
Good point, I have heard that the real baby cookies are much softer and don't break as easy but I will still wait.  How did you introduce puffed wheat and cheerios, did your LO just eat it as finger food?  Was that OK at 5 months?

Thanks,
Steph

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 09:00:14 am »
I gave my DD an arrowroot biscuit the other day for the first time and she loved it, she just sucks on it until it is mushy then eats it, it is very cute as she gets it everywhere  :)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07