Author Topic: bad sleep habits (can't fall asleep on his own and night awaking)  (Read 1028 times)

Offline juni's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
hi all,

last summer, i made the HUGE mistake of bringing ds's crib into my room b/c i was too tired and lazy to walk to his room (located on the other side of the house) in the middle of the night when he'd have his night wakings. unfortunately, he's still in our room AND still having problems with the night wakings.

we have two big problems. one is: ds can't fall asleep on his own. he lays in his crib without a fight however, he always  holds my hand while i sit right beside his crib. i've tried moving further and further back but whenever i do this, he will get up and throw a tantrum (i have a very spirited child!). eventually, he will fall asleep like this and will sleep like an angel for a good 5 hours or so and then he'll get up and start crying and yelling for me to come and get him and take him into our bed (yes, another horrible habit i created) --this of course is our 2nd big problem. i've tried pu/pd which worked like a charm when he was an infant, but now, i've noticed that it just riles him up even more. if i try to lay him down he will bolt right up, scream, cry, etc....he will calm down when i take him out of his crib and hold him, but just as soon as i lay him back down, the craziness will start all over again. it will only end when i allow him to sleep with us. to tell you the truth, i wouldn't mind the bedsharing if it weren't for the fact that he is obsessed with playing with my hair whenever he wakes up (i'd say he wakes up every two hours or so after that initial wake up). as a result, i can't get any sleep and i am constantly tired day in, day out.

Dh and i are in the process of moving him back into his room. we are planning on putting him in a twin size bed hopefully by the end of this month.
i am afraid that i will end up having to sleep with him in that little twin size bed until he's 13!

does anyone out there have any advice? i am really, really, really tired of never getting a decent night's rest.
pls help,
thanks in advance....
mary
mary
jonathan 2/28/2004

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: bad sleep habits (can't fall asleep on his own and night awaking)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 11:08:00 am »
Hello,

I would suggest pm'ing Sarah "henrysmama", as she had almost an identical situation with her son.  Now he sleeps on his own in his own room.  If you can't track her down let me know and I will try and remember exactly how she did it.  I know she did walk in/walk out but I don't know if she modified it at all.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline TaylorsDad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: bad sleep habits (can't fall asleep on his own and night awaking)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:05:22 pm »
Can someone post a respinse to this question here please?

I have a very similar problem. My 2.5 yr old son will only sleep if we stay with him, tis has only happened recently since we had a new baby..