Author Topic: Can you reheat formula  (Read 19029 times)

Offline llambden

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
Can you reheat formula
« on: February 18, 2006, 18:05:50 pm »
Not sure if someone has ask this question??? ???

We just switch to bottle feeding and we are wondering how many times can you reheat the formula?  Once you warmed it up can you put it back in the fridge and heat up again or is it just better to keep it in the warm water till you use it again. ::)

The only reason we ask is because our little man sometime puts up a fight and won't take the bottle so we like to settle him done and try again later but it seems like we are throwing out a lot of milk.  I do make 3-4 oz bottles for now till things are running smoother.

Thanks
LORI

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Can you reheat formula
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 18:36:07 pm »
Once a baby has started to drink from a bottle of formula it is advisable to throw away the formula in the bottle after no more than an hour .. thats because milk is a great place for bacteria to live and multiply so you dont want to take any chances with giving your LO a bad tummy by giving them milk that has been reheated a few times or been around for longer than an hour.
I seemed to waste loads in the early days but it was worth it so I know I was taking no risks with the safety of the milk I was giving him.

H xxx

Offline Adoptivemom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 16:55:40 pm »
I found I was wasting a lot of formula  at first because I never knew how much ds would eat. Now I don't put as much in the bottles (3 or 4 oz or so) and let him drink. If I see he is really hungry close to the end of the bottle I put another bottle in hot water to heat up. I find I am wasting a lot less formula than before.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 19:09:02 pm »
Agre with Adoptivemum and Ennypen, you don't reheat formula, make it in smaller bottle if you need to and refridgeate for up to 24hrs or make a bigger jug and take and heat what you need.

Once they have finished do not reuse as their saliva is mixed in with the formula and breeds bacteria.

Hope this helps.
Lauren x

Offline Colleen

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My Five Guys
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 19:26:40 pm »
It is a personal choice. It is sort of like boiling water and sterilizing bottles -- some do and some don't and either way is fine.

When G or D was done with a bottle I would always rinse off the outside of the nipple and put it back in the fridge, then add more to it before the next feeding.
Colleen
Doula and homeschooling mother of five fabulous young men:
Brayton - Aug 2001
Griffin - Feb 2004
Dawson - Apr 2005
Ronan - Dec 2006
Weston - Oct 2008

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 05:25:08 am »
it is safer to use the formula with in the hour it was heated, after an hour nasty things start to form in the milk.