Author Topic: 4 month old waking and eating every 2 hours at night!  (Read 12833 times)

Offline aj's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 month old waking and eating every 2 hours at night!
« on: February 18, 2006, 19:10:22 pm »
I posted a couple of days ago about moving my DD into her crib from her bassinet - she was waking every hour but not necissarily due to hunger.... anyways, now she is up to waking every two hours - we put her to bed between 7:30 and 8:30 (by the time she falls alseep) and then I wake her at 11 for a dreamfeed, then she wakes at 2, 4, 6:15 and 7:30.. this morning I let her cry (well fuss) for the 6:15 waking and she fell back asleep until 7:30.  However, I did this because it just sounded like a fuss and not a full blown cry, which she does for the rest of the feedings at night. 

Isn't 2 hrs too much for a 4 month old to wake and eat?  She is hungry bc she eats - she is very sloooooow though at night and I wonder if she is half falling back asleep - it takes at least 20 minutes wherehas it takes 5 to 10 during the daytime - and 10 minutes is pushing it!  I usually have to take her off the boob after 20 minutes because she is still latched on but just not eating anymore and eyes closed, half asleep if not completely. 

During the daytime, an average routine goes like this:
She eats every two hours but not for very long - about 5 minutes or so, maybe a bit longer sometimes.
She wakes in between 7:30 and 8, eats, activity and then nap.... her first nap is around 9:30 but only takes a 30-45 minute nap.
Wake, activity, nap again around 11 for a little over an hour.
Does this for the rest of the day but with smaller naps (30-45 min). 
Sometimes she eats before hre naps because it is nearing 2 hrs to eat. 

Should I make her wait and eat every 3 hours during the day and add an extra feeding late afternoon and would that make her go longer at night?

What can I do at night to delay and get rid of her nighttime frequent wakings/eating?

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: 4 month old waking and eating every 2 hours at night!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 23:38:35 pm »
Hi there

It looks like you need to get your day time routine sorted out - feeding every 2 hours for a 4 month old indicates that she is snacking and needs to consolidate those feeds to get better quality feeds during the day, hopefully filling her up and avoiding those night time snacks.

I would recommend you take a look at the 4 hour routines at the top of the EASY forum for examples of feeding times common for babies your DD's age.

HTH
Good luck
Jo

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 03:46:27 am »
I'd have to agree a 4mo eating every 2 hours never takes a full feed & is probably just getting the fore milk, I would try putting her back on when she comes off during the day, so if she feeds for 5mins, cuddle for 2-3 then offer again & do this for a full 1/2 hour, then don't offer again for at least 3 hours... gradually working towards 4 hours in the course of say 2-3 weeks, until you sort out the days I think you have no chance of having better nights.... sorry that isn't what you wanted to hear that it could take weeks, but unfortunately there is no magic cure.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline aj's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 04:23:04 am »
Thanks so much for your replies!  Well I thought the same thing after reading some of the other posts and I realized that during the day DD eats for a few minutes I think because she gets distracted, so I have been taking her into a pitch black room to feed but sometimes it works and she will calmly eat a longer amount of time but other times she just starts fussing and if I manage to get her to latch on she sucks poorly and chews and doesn't take much more in.

Do you think I should let her wait to eat every three hours even if she is hungry after 2?  I was ready to do that this morning but late in the morning she was hungry so I fed her after two hours but again, she only ate a few minutes and even in the dark room she just fussed and messed around.  Should I just console her for however long it takes to reach 3 hrs??

She is also a poor napper - She RARELY takes 1.5 hr naps so EASY is difficult implement because when she should be napping she is eating and vice versa...  Any ideas on how to get her to sleep the entire 1.5 hrs as opposed to only 30 minutes?  She is very cranky at night and never eats more than 2 oz (I pump for a bottle at night) right before bedtime (bedtime is 7-7:30 pm)
Thanks!!

Offline Jacksmom77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 04:27:53 am »
I just wanted to let you know I had this exact same problem with my LO...he would only eat for 5-8 minutes every 2 hours.  Although my Dr. said he could just be a very efficient eater (since he was gaining weight right on track) I had a feeling he was snacking.  I tried to stretch his feedings to 3 hours and he did much better.  I think he just never got out of the habit of eating every 2 hours.  He got up every 2 hours at night also, so once I stretched his feedings 3 hours he did the same at night.  At 4 months most babies, nutritionally don't need to eat throughout the night (or so I've been told & read) so, for a few nights to break the habit, I snuck into his room & when I would hear him start to wake up, I would make sure he was wrapped up tight ( I still swaddle  - it seems to help him jolting himself awake) & if he started to suck, I would give him a pacifier.  I'm not saying you should use a pacifier, that's just what worked for me, although now I'm needing to break that habit! I think the main thing is breaking the habit of them waking up & starting a routine they can rely on.  No matter what it is, as long as it works for you & baby. Whatever you choose, try to stick with it for a few days...do the exact same thing every night so he know what to expect & that bedtime is what comes next...eventually she'll figure it out! Good luck!
Brandi

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 04:34:57 am »
the 2 hours is because she never has a proper feed, so while you don't have to do 3, try for 2.5, but you may find that if you take her on a walk/outside, that you can do it without too much effort, as you say she is distracted for feeds, so distract her with trees etc... You will probably find when you get the feeding happening better, the sleep will get better too... it is a habit not a need for the feeding & so YOU need to break it & yes she will probably get upset... but she will be happier in the long run when she gets better sleep & feeds better.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 04:53:17 am »
Hi

I had a similar issue with my DS around 3 months and yes, I had to break the snacking cycle.  That did mean that (for a couple of days while I was stretching him out) he was hungry before the next scheduled feed time but using the sorts of things Kate suggested we managed to string him out and he has been a much better eater since.  And Kate is spot on - often once you get the eating sorted out, the sleep will follow.

Good luck
Jo

Offline aj's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 17:33:48 pm »
Thank you SO much for your advice - I am already seeing a difference in making her wait 3 hrs to eat - lsat night she only woke up once!! 
It does, however take a LONG time to get her to settle to eat her full amount - usually like 30 minutes because she sucks for a couple of minutes, then gets distracted and wants nothing to do with the boob. 
Thanks so much!!!  I hope the sleep continues like last night!

WHen do you suggest she would be ready for a 4 hour EASY?  RIght now I am going to work on the 3 hr EASY - we are almost on track!