Author Topic: 7 month cutting first tooth, how do I respond to wakings?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Superman'sMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
7 month cutting first tooth, how do I respond to wakings?
« on: February 19, 2006, 00:50:16 am »
I know that this will pass but I am unsure about how to handle the sleep problem due to teething. Our poor guy is cutting his first tooth and he is up all night. He woke up 5+ times last night and tonight since we put him down at 6:30 (it is 7:45) he has woken up 3 times. I know his tooth hurts and he is in pain but I don't know exactly what to do. He has gotten Motrin and ambesal and Hylands and it doesn't seem to be helping. It has only be two days but I have had to rock him back to sleep because nothing else will calm him. Pat/shh is a joke on him, he is touchy/spirited. I think the night wakings, if not already, are going to be worse if I rock him. So what do I do. It isn't nice to do pu/pd when he is hurting but I can't just stand there and hold him and hope he passes out. Help? ???

Thanks. I know that there is really no solution because the tooth to finish cutting. I just am unsure of what to do to have the least damage to him sleep. Thanks.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
Re: 7 month cutting first tooth, how do I respond to wakings?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 01:36:16 am »
Okay now I can't get him  to sleep without me holdoing him so I have created a problem. What do I do. Bad Mommy.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 04:10:21 am »
I can only sypathise with you as my DD is also teething but is getting two teeth at once and her sleeping is also effected due to pain (however i am lucky so far it hasn't effected her night sleep touch wood). The only thing i can think of that helps with my DD going to sleep is her lovey have you though of introducing one?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 04:25:51 am »
chelsea - when alecks loses sleep over teething - i just comfort her, that's really what they need and want (besides the pain to go away - duh!) so i think it is following bw to comfort your lo...i do...and yes u start to create bad habits (just make sure u stop when teething symptoms stop as teething can come and go for quite some time) but as long as u correct them quickly when it is over it should be ok.  afterall, he was already sleep trained and will just have to be 'reminded' of how to do things when life gets back on track.  don't be too hard on yourself - u are human and just want to comfort your lo...what do u expect u would do..? u are just being a good mommy. :-*
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 01:04:07 am »
You guys I think he is playing me. He seems to just want m eto hold him adn rock him. He isn't crying unless I lay him down. Tonight he was fine when I was holding him. I laying him down because he started to play and he was fine for a minute. I staid there but didn't make eye contact, but when I glanced at him to see if his eyes where closed he was smiling up at me. I told him shhh it is time to go night night (the same thing I always tell him before sleep time). That is when he started screaming. I pick him up fine, put him down screams. I don't think it is his tooth. But I am not sure. That could be apart of it. But for three nights it has been me holding him and then trying to put him down for hours until he passes out. I mean I can't do this forver. He is going to be cutting a lot of teeth. I don't want to do the wrong thing. But rocking him for hours isn't really working. He doesn't really sleep in my arms. I am at the end of my rope.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 03:49:08 am »
Have you tired to maybe put a shirt of yours that you have worn, without wahing in his crib with him, I have done this a couple nights when ds has wanted to be held and cried when I put him down.  It worked for him, so maybe worth a try ;)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 15:09:23 pm »
that is a great suggestion- it may be a little separation anxiety.  i have done this with alecks and it is now #1 fave sleep lovey - my old striped gray tshirt i wear to bed!  i was fed up one night and tore off my shirt and put it in the crib and she slept better - go figure!..needless to say i don't wear it anymore and haven't washed it since giving it to her over a month ago...kinda gross but she is comfortable with it.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Superman'sMom

• Hey Superman!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 02:32:43 am »
Well I am trying the shirt thing but it doesn't seem to make a diffrence. He slept till 9 tonight and cries really loud. Last time it took me a while tocalm him and then DP took him and he went back down fine. Until he woke up 5 minutes later. Now he is trying to get him back down. He is crying but his eyes aren't even open. I am not sure what to make of this. I don't think it is his tooth. I just don't know what it is. He is trying to go back to sleep but he can't so he cries.  ??? :'(
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005