Author Topic: How much milk for a 7 month old  (Read 1078 times)

Offline lex

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 19, 2006, 16:20:27 pm »
Hi All,
My 7  month old has never been a great bottle drinker he was bf until 4 months and was always a bit of a snacker which has continued into bottle feeding (never takes more then 6oz in one sitting normally 2-3oz).  I have just started trying to get him into a routine using the baby whisperer as he wasn't napping very well and was in our bed every night for about the last 6 weeks so no one was getting any sleep, it's going well but hard work but the thing is he was drinking about 30oz of milk a day before I started(about 15 of this between 8 at night and 8 in the morning!) now I am trying not to give him bottles at night, I try to dream feed but he only takes about 1-2 oz so he is now taking between 15-22oz per day, he has woken the last two nights between 2 and 3 and the only thing that would get him back to sleep was a bottle, again he might drink 3oz and then nod off!
I guess I'm asking is he getting enough and am I just giving in when he wants a feed at 2 or 3, or is there some miracle that can get him to drink more in one sitting?
All suggestions gratefully accepted thanks
Lex

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: How much milk for a 7 month old
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 17:32:59 pm »
Hello!  :)

If you haven't already, you may want to try a faster nipple to increase his intake and maybe trying feeding in a quiet/dim area so there isn't so much going on to distract him.  Or maybe even try a sippy/straw cup..he may just not like bottles.

I think once you get more of a routine in place, feeding every 4hrs (give or take) you should hopefully see things even out more.

Does he go to sleep independently? Let me know...I have a few suggestions but want to know where we stand first  ;) :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline lex

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 21:52:55 pm »
Hi Noelle,
Thanks for the suggestions, as you can see I don't get on regularly generally too tired by the time baba is in bed! I will try and use a faster nipple I'm using Tommy tippee bottles and I've looked but they don't seem to sell different size nipples so I was thinking of trying to make the hole a little bigger myself!
I started getting him into a routine 11 days ago and there are definite improvements, but I think I still have work to do, he will not take a nap longer then an hour in the morning generally 30-40 minutes he refuses to go back to sleep no matter how long I do PU/PD, in the afternoon he will normally go for a nap of about 1 to 2 hours, he takes about 20 min to get down but once he is down it's fine, in the evening he goes down no problem, he does have a habit of falling asleep on his last bottle but I try to get him into his cot before he falls fully asleep, if I try give him his bottle at another time say before his bath he won't take any of it, he is taking a bit more of the dream feed now maybe 5/6oz but he is still waking at some stage during the night and unfortunately it is not regular it can be any time from 2.30 to 5.30 and he is awake for an hour sometimes 2, I don't feed him then and do PU/PD until he goes back asleep.
These are huge improvements he was sleeping in our bed every night and waking for bottles 3 or 4 times a night, he didn't take regular naps at all before and when he went to sleep you could never guarantee how long he would stay asleep so I'm very happy with the improvements but I'm obviously still doing something wrong so any suggestions would be welcome, I know this post goes beyond bottle feeding so maybe I'm posting in the wrong place I might put in on the sleep section too.
Thanks again
Lex