Author Topic: Screaming and tired and sick 2yr old  (Read 1125 times)

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« on: February 20, 2006, 00:40:48 am »
What am I supposed to do with my 2yr old dd who is having a real rough time napping at the moment?  She is sick.  But every time I've given her medicine the last couple of nights, she's vomited it back up, so I don't want to do that for naps (plus I keep forgetting and would rather keep the meds for night time, and can only give them every 6-8hrs).  She either howls and screams before going to sleep (for a very short time, like 30min) or howls and screams and doesn't go to sleep.  Or goes to sleep for 30mins then wakes up and howls and screams.  I've tried reasoning with her, sitting with her, offering to have her nap with me in her or my bed, leaving her etc.  And it drives me crazy that her noise disturbs dd2 sleeping.  And I need time out from her since I am not 100% well myself, and sooo look forward to this time over lunch when both girls are sleeping (have a nap myself etc).  Anyway, she is in her room howling at the moment... I think I will go and try and lie with her in her bed now.  She just needs to sleep so desperately but just won't/can't do it.  Oh and there goes the baby again....   >:(

Offline Laura's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Re: Screaming and tired and sick 2yr old
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 03:23:21 am »
Hi Denise - Geez it is AWFUL when they won't nap and you know they need to.

Here is what I do/have done when my girls desparately needed rest and wouldn't nap - (not exactly BW - but when they are sick all rules go out the window!)

1) Put music on for them to listen to while "napping"

2) Filled up their cot with toys (special treat - only while they are not sick)

3) Gone for a nice loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggg drive (complete with Wiggles/Hi-5 music)

4) Lay down on the floor next to their bed and told stories......

All while chanting "this will pass" "This will pass"

Hope you both feel better soon

Janelle Laura (26 March 2001) and Cate (11 December 2003)

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:06:47 am »
Thanks Janelle!

I was just having a bad afternoon I think, as now that both girls are in bed asleep for the night, I feel quite calm!!

I ended up negotiating again with dd1 about where she would like to nap (back and forth between her bed and mine) and eventually she said she wanted to sleep on the floor  ::) so I put her there and she went to sleep!!