Author Topic: 12 months old and wakes up frequently at night. Please help!!  (Read 1238 times)

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
12 months old and wakes up frequently at night. Please help!!
« on: February 20, 2006, 01:43:38 am »
Hi,

My ds Giorgio is 12 months old and can self soothe. About 6 months ago, he was very easy to put to sleep. We had a bedtime routine plus his bottle before bed and off he went and only woke up if he was hungry. Well that changed due to a lot of things. He goes to sleep and wakes up 1-3 times in the first 2 hours and lately will wake up in the middle of the night crying 1-2 times and sometimes will fall back asleep on his own, sometimes he won't. So what can I do to stop this?  I know that there has been teething, illness, seperation anxiety, milestones, etc. that have contributed to this. So how do you fix this? I;ve been doing it for 6 months and i just want to STOP!

So here's our routine nowdays:

Wake up 6- 6:30  (Used to be for a short while 6:30-7)

Usually 1/2 an hour later, bottle of formula. 6 oz
Then 1 hour after his bottle breakfast 5-6 oz with water plus finger food

Bathtime and naptime. Awake time is usually 3 hours and his nap on a good day 1.5. bad day 1 hour

11-11:30 Bottle of formula 5 oz
Then 1 hour after his bottle lunch 5-6 oz with water  plus finger food

Naptime depending what time he wakes up from 1st nap (4 hour awake time now, used to be 3.5)
Around 2ish pm
lenght of nap 1-1.5 hours. More 1.5

4:00 Bottle of formula 5 oz plus snack
Then 1-1.5 hour after his bottle dinner 5-6 oz with water  plus finger food
(Now I wait longer for dinner since his awake time is 4 hours instead of 3.5)
And I started giving him yoghurt since he doesn't take any milk before bedtime.

Bedtime is 20 minutes before the 4 hour mark.
Asleep at the 4 hour mark. Around 7-7:30 pm

Nowday he has been getting up earlier, but he did have a cold so maybe that's it.

So I try to do everything by the book and no idea what is waking him up soo often. Tonight he went to bed at 6:45 pm. Woke up at the 45 min. mark which he has been doing lately. Put down, woke up a second time 10 mins. after, woke up a 3 rd time 10 mins after.

So we have our bad days like today on some good days where he will wake up 1-2 instead of 3-5.
So why is this happening? I'm sooo exhausted.

I try to put him down awake after calming him and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and he falls asleep on you. Sometimes he cries so loud that when you get him it;s like he is scared and then he starts cyibg even louder and you have to take him outside of his room to calm down. Their is no set patterm, every night is a surprise. However I have noticed that he is getting up more and more on the 45 min. mark.

So anybody else going thru the same thing?

Is he eating too much? Is it a sore tummy? Seperation anxiety?

Please help!!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 12 months old and wakes up frequently at night. Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 03:55:38 am »
You are right all the issues like teething sep anx etc do cause the waking... & as you say he goes down indepdantly & awake, so I assume he knows how to self settle

Looking at the hours he is asleep in the day, I'm thinking he is actually not tired enough/too tired at 12months some babies can do 1 nap a day & I am wondering if he mightn't sleep better with just the one nap or on the flip side waking in the early part of the night is often due to overtiredness & I know with My ds#1 he never did more than 3.5 hours until 15months old, so maybe his awake time is too long for him... all babies are different & following the book is good, BUT you also need to look at your own lo... I think if he is tired before 4 hours then he needs a shorter awake time & as he isn't fighting you to go down for naps I think he isn't ready for one nap yet.

sorry I can't offer any other suggestions, but if he is falling asleep at the beginning of the night & naps independently, then it is either a routine problem or separation anxiety & all you can do for that is give him more time & go when he needs you (ie he crys)

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline milesmac

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 04:50:20 am »
I don't have a solution for you but can certainly empathize.  My 12 month old will not sleep through the night either.  We have a similar routine and he goes down easily between 7 and 730pm.  He gets about about 7 am.  However, he will wake up anywhere from 3-6 times a night.  At times, he also seems afraid and anxious to be out of his room.  We have read multiple books and tried many of the suggestions but nothing seems to work.  We are tired and frustrated and feel that we are doing something wrong.
We have also thought the sleep difficulties might be due to teething, separation anxiety, colic, etc but the problem persists.

You might want to read the responses to my post "My 12 month old has never slept through the night - Help!"

We have been blessed with a happy, healthy child and for that I am eternally grateful.  We just keep hoping that we eventually find something that works.  Hang in there.

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 13:14:47 pm »
Thanks for your help,

I have been working around his routine, etc. He used to be awake 3.5 hours at the most but now he will not go down until it's been 4 hours. And he doesn't fight his naps. So I don't want to transition to 1 nap yet. I have tried everyting too but getting desperate. Have no idea what he want or what to do sometimes, I;ve been hanging on for months and months now.

How long have you been experienceing this Katet?

What do you guys do?