Author Topic: too much milk at 6.5 months?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Luby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Amelie Rose
too much milk at 6.5 months?
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:40:49 am »
Hi

My bubs is 6.5 months old and has been properly eating solids from the new year (probably about 7 weeks).  She used to have 4 x 8 oz bottles and now has an 8oz for breakfast, a 7oz, a 6oz and for supper, an 8oz.  She loves fruit but i am lucky to get 1/2oz of solid vegetables down her...

is she having too much milk?  if so how do i reduce it and get her to eat more solids? 

i have read that at lunch time she should be having water only but she would go mad...i have a milk monster on my hands. 

BTW - she is a good weight and mostly sleeps through the night although recently she has started to wake around 4am for a nappy change and they goes back to sleep (habit thing i think)

Help!!!!

Luby
x
Luby
xxx

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: too much milk at 6.5 months?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 18:19:28 pm »
At your LO's age, she is taking in the high normal range for milk.  26-32oz is completely normal.  At this point it is much more important for her to drink her milk then it is for her to be taking more solids.  What does your daily routine look like?  Meaning when do you feed her solids, what types of solids are you feeding her and how much?  If you would like to establish a routine of solids like 2 meals per day, or 3 meals per day, you can do this simply be giving her little amounts of solids at those mealtimes.  Once the routine is in place you can experiment with increasing the amount of solids, while still keeping her milk at at least 26 or more oz per day.  Our doctor said even 24 oz is OK, but given your DD's appetite, I don't think 26oz will be hard to accomplish.  Anyway, post your schedule for me so I can get a better idea of what you're doing as far as solids.

Offline Luby

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Amelie Rose
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 19:40:14 pm »
Hi

OK here goes...

8am she has 1 tablespoon of dry baby porridge, i make it up with part of her 8oz bottle and feed her the rest of her milk & water.

11.30/11.45 i give her 1 ice cube of vegetables (more likely to eat jars than home cooked food though but thats another problem) and then 1-2 ice cubes of fruit puree.  I then give her water and milk.  the milk she gets depends on how much she has eaten but i work on feedng her 8oz of food (ie 1oz = 1 cube so if shes had 3 cubes i give her 5oz milk).

3pm 7oz ish of milk

5pm 1 cube vegetables, 1-2 cubes of fruit puree.

7pm 8oz milk.

my concern is that shes not having enough solids and is having too much milk as i have heard numerous bits of advice along the lines of babies should have about 20oz per day (and no milk at lunch time).

type of vegetables are usually a medley ie, carrots, parsnip, courgette, broccoli, sweet potato,

fruits are, mango, apricot, raspberry, apple, plum, pear, melon, cherry

everyone seems to have different advice and i am getting obsessed by trying to do the right thing for my baby!!!! She is quite chubby and is sick quite alot (so i worry she eats too much too). My friend says she should be eating eggs, chicken, toast etc now too so that adds to my confusion.

i really hope you can help (sorry for the rambling).

thankyou!

Luby
x
Luby
xxx

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 22:43:57 pm »
Don't worry, you aren't rambling.  It seems to me you are feeding her breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I still don't think she's getting too much milk, but you could try increasing the amount of her breakfast by adding a fruit or veggie to go with the porridge, and see how she does with that.

I have the American Academy of Pediatrics book at home, actually co-written by our pediatrian.  I didn't know that till I bought it.  Anyway, what it says as far as what kinds of solids and when is this:
Breads can be introduced between 6-8 months, but be careful if there is a history of allergies.  Proteins such as eggs and meats should be introduced between 7-10 months of age.  Once you do introduce these foods, you will see a decrease in the amount of milk she takes because proteins are much more filling and complex.  If you are really concerned about the amount of milk she is taking in, try increasing the solids intake and see how that affects her appetite for milk.  I think if the feeding schedule you have ie: solids w/milk then finish the rest of the milk, works for you then you should keep it. 

One thing I would suggest discussing with your baby's doctor, since you say she is sick a lot, is possibly adding a Fatty Acids supplemental vitamin to her diet.  Fatty acids are Omega-3 & 6 vitamins which are essential for immune health and brain function.  Babies get these fatty acids from breast milk or formula, but sometimes they need a boost.  I would not suggest supplementing her with anything before talking to the pediatrician though.

Hope this helps.

Offline Luby

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Amelie Rose
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 09:25:41 am »
Hi there

thanks for the info...i tried her with some fruit after her porridge this morning and she had and oz less milk!

I will talk with our doctor about the omega 3&6 supplements (no doubt they will tell me she doens't need them though!)

xxx
Luby
x
Luby
xxx